KA force of tension question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

howtomedicine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
ImageUploadedBySDN1483575428.014291.jpg

The answer was 147N but I'm not sure why. If the person is suspended by 4 ropes at an angle, shouldn't the tension in a single rope be (1/4)mg • sin[angle]

ImageUploadedBySDN1483575768.362901.jpg

The hints stated that we were given the vertical component already but I'm not understanding how.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

The answer was 147N but I'm not sure why. If the person is suspended by 4 ropes at an angle, shouldn't the tension in a single rope be (1/4)mg • sin[angle]

Draw a free body diagram. Those are always very helpful for problems like these. Okay, so it tells you that there are four ropes and all four ropes have the same angle. Therefore, they each bear 1/4 of the total weight. That's one critical piece of the puzzle. That means that each rope only "feels" 60 kg/4, or 15 kg each. The second key piece is that this problem is not asking for the tension in the rope but rather the vertical component of force acting on a single wire. In your free body diagram, you should only have one arrow pointing down - that of the weight of the object. So you already know the vertical component of force. That is, the vertical component of force in this entire system points down with a magnitude of 60 kg*9.8 m/s^2. Now remember what I said earlier. Since there are four wires, each wire bears 1/4 of the total force. Thus, each wire has a vertical component of force of 60*9.8/4.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So if we were given the tension of a single rope, then the vertical component would be Tsin(angle) which would be equal to 1/4mg?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So if we were given the tension of a single rope, then the vertical component would be Tsin(angle) which would be equal to 1/4mg?

If you were given the tension force in a single rope, then yes, the vertical component would be T*sin(theta) where theta is the angle the rope makes with the horizontal. And yes, that would equal 1/4*m*g in this case. In fact, you can easily calculate the tension force in this case in each rope. As I said, the vertical component is 60*9.8/4, which is about 150. Therefore, the tension must be 150/sin(theta).

Reactions: 1 user