Term for high blood pressure AFTER pregnancy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

shroomysoup

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Pre-eclampsia is defined as hypertension DURING pregnancy and eclampsia is defined as a complication of pre-eclampsia where seizures occur. Is there a medical term for hypertension AFTER pregnancy? Maybe it's just HTN, but the patient has not had HTN previously.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What happens to high blood pressure after delivery?

Chronic hypertension: Your blood pressure will probably stay high after you have your baby. You will have to keep taking medicine for high blood pressure, watch your diet and exercise.

Preeclampsia: Your blood pressure will go back to normal within 6 to 12 weeks after you have your baby.

Transient hypertension: Your blood pressure will go back to normal within 6 to 12 weeks after you have your baby. But you are more likely to get chronic high blood pressure later in life.

http://familydoctor.org/online/famd...ations/695.html#ArticleParsysMiddleColumn0008
 
posteclampisa?

no clue. probably just postpartum hypertension until you decide that it's just hypertension.
 
I've heard the transient HTN term used. I would think it'd just be good ole HTN after that. Postpartum HTN sounds good though. I just made that up.
 
I'm particularly fond of posteclampsia. makes me giggle a little. but probably because I thought of it.
 
Actually preeclampsia is "before" the seizure. Eclampsia is a seizure. It is pregnancy induced hypertension after having the baby. Regardless it is eclampsia once there are seizures (since that is the definition of the word).
*mom of new 2 month old*
 
I think the more pres and posts, the better. It makes it sound more serious.
 
What happens to high blood pressure after delivery?

Chronic hypertension: Your blood pressure will probably stay high after you have your baby. You will have to keep taking medicine for high blood pressure, watch your diet and exercise.

Preeclampsia: Your blood pressure will go back to normal within 6 to 12 weeks after you have your baby.


http://familydoctor.org/online/famd...ations/695.html#ArticleParsysMiddleColumn0008

agree with this post here. pre-eclampsia is scary business.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Pre-eclampsia is defined as hypertension DURING pregnancy and eclampsia is defined as a complication of pre-eclampsia where seizures occur. Is there a medical term for hypertension AFTER pregnancy? Maybe it's just HTN, but the patient has not had HTN previously.

I have had two pregnancies and I experienced both Pre-eclampsia and postpartum hypertension; Pre-eclampsia with the first pregnancy and postpartum hypertension with the second (with no Pre-eclampsia.) WIth the postpartum hypertension, the doctors acted like they didn't know what it was. They definitely never diagnosed me or put a name to it; to my knowledge at least.
 
I have had two pregnancies and I experienced both Pre-eclampsia and postpartum hypertension; Pre-eclampsia with the first pregnancy and postpartum hypertension with the second (with no Pre-eclampsia.) WIth the postpartum hypertension, the doctors acted like they didn't know what it was. They definitely never diagnosed me or put a name to it; to my knowledge at least.

Just curious...(and I won't give any medical advice), but did it resolve quickly? And if they acted like they didn't know what it was, what did they decide for treatment?
 
Just curious...(and I won't give any medical advice), but did it resolve quickly? And if they acted like they didn't know what it was, what did they decide for treatment?

The first time with the pre-eclampsia they just observed me every couple of weeks for about 6 months, then it came down with out treatment. But usually they say your BP comes down with in a couple of weeks (at the most) after you give birth with pre-eclampsia. With the second pregnancy where I had hypertension postpartum with no pre-eclampsia, they put me on HCTZ. I eventually was able to stop taking it. I think I took it for a year, but I could have probably stopped it earlier. I'm sure when I get "older" I will have to take BP meds (both my parents took them), but right now I have a normal BP without meds.