Position Wanted Terminated from Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hi guys, hope you all doing good.
I was successfully working as a PGY-2 IM resident. I competed PGY-1 and 9 months of PGY-2. I have been recently dismissed/ let go from the program because of Crossing the line of professional behaviour. Right now, I am going through the process of getting the medical board license. In the mean time, I am looking for open spots for PGY-2 and PGY-3 Internal and Family medicine. I read pretty much all the discussion above but Being at my position, I am very nervous about my career.
Is there any one who has been through my position?
Has anyone started working after getting the medical license? If yes? How easy it is to get any job and how much do one get pay?

Members don't see this ad.

Which state? Florida is easy to get a license

Hi guys, hope you all doing good.
I was successfully working as a PGY-2 IM resident. I competed PGY-1 and 9 months of PGY-2. I have been recently dismissed/ let go from the program because of Crossing the line of professional behaviour. Right now, I am going through the process of getting the medical board license. In the mean time, I am looking for open spots for PGY-2 and PGY-3 Internal and Family medicine. I read pretty much all the discussion above but Being at my position, I am very nervous about my career.
Is there any one who has been through my position?
Has anyone started working after getting the medical license? If yes? How easy it is to get any job and how much do one get pay?

Since we don't know what professional line/behavior you crossed, we can't really advice you.
So it would be important to explain what happened.
Is there no way to get back into residency for you- are you able to make any type of case to get back in? If no, will the PD give you a letter of recommendation?
Depending on what happened it may or may not be possible for you to get back in.
Again depending on what you did, it may or may not be possible for you to get a license even in FL. If severe professional line crossing it might not be possible.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Since we don't know what professional line/behavior you crossed, we can't really advice you.
Is there no way to get back into residency for you- are you able to make any type of case to get back in? If no, will the PD give you a letter of recommendation?
Depending on what happened it may or may not be possible for you to get back in.
Again depending on what you did, it may or may not be possible for you to get a license even in FL. If severe professional line crossing it might not be possible.
I crossed the line of patient physician relation ship that was only limited to text messages. The severity of mistake was not equivalent to severity of the punishment. There was no exchange of pictures/ no law suit.
CCC committee decided to just suspend me but the hospital decided to let me know to avoid any poss liability.
I have applied for the Georgia medical license and my faculty including my program director are willing to give me LOR

What happens if a PD doesn't want to write a letter?

Which state? Florida is easy to get a license
Not to pile on - but really wasn't worth throwing out your career - over texting a patient? Were the texts of a sexual nature or something else? I mean it's possible if you apply enough programs that you might get something - but you will have to somehow prove that this will never happen again. Interestingly enough I have seen a number of resident positions listed on indeed. i have no clue about Georgia, but professionalism questions are in just about every full/permanent license.
There was no sexual content. Like I said, the hospital did not want to take any kind of liability so they decided to let me go.
my program director himself told me that it was an unfair decision and he along with 2 other faculty members gave me good recommendation for my medical license.
He also told me that he will give me LOR for the potential programs

There was no sexual content. Like I said, the hospital did not want to take any kind of liability so they decided to let me go.
my program director himself told me that it was an unfair decision and he along with 2 other faculty members gave me good recommendation for my medical license.
He also told me that he will give me LOR for the potential programs
If that story gets out you are likely not to work for whoever hears it, sorry

If that story gets out you are likely not to work for whoever hears it, sorry
Idunno, I think this is a situation where the details matter. Obviously everyone says that the severity of the punishment=/=severity of the crime, but I could envision someone doing something like this and winding up with probation if it was the most innocent version of this story imaginable as the OP has presented it. If he was highly qualified out of med school and comes with strong recommendations, then I could imagine a program which finds itself down at PGY-2 and desperate deciding to take a shot with the OP if they think they can be a body to competently do the job.

All that said, clearly some significant details here are missing, and I'm curious how this would have come to light at all if it really was as benign as the OP is letting on. And if the OP was a marginal candidate to begin with, he may be in a very bad situation indeed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I would say, look on indeed - i have shockingly seen a number of resident positions listed on there at various levels. So you might luck out. Obviously it will be of utmost importance for you to be able to convey a significantly remorseful feeling and the thought that you made a mistake that will never happen again

What do you mean indeed?

Those are for those who have been accepted into residency

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. For those who just matched. Everyone else has to either apply off cycle or go through the match again

Again incorrect. If someone had matched into a residency position why would they NEED a RESIDENCY position? I can see why you didn't match.
Hopeless.
Reading skills are important.

• Haha
Again incorrect. If someone had matched into a residency position why would they NEED a RESIDENCY position? I can see why you didn't match.
Hopeless.

Uh huh....you assume I didn't match because of my reading skills? Shameful. There are positions that I have seen that say "matched candidates only."

“You should never assume. You know what happens when you assume. You make an ass out of you and me because that's how it's spelled.”

― Ellen DeGeneres

1586456692381.png

Attachments

• 1586456657800.png
    1586456657800.png
    263.4 KB · Views: 96
Uh huh....you assume I didn't match because of my reading skills? Shameful. There are positions that I have seen that say "matched candidates only."

“You should never assume. You know what happens when you assume. You make an ass out of you and me because that's how it's spelled.”

― Ellen DeGeneres

View attachment 301702

That is just plain stupid. Matched candidates don't need

Obviously if it's for a PGY-2 or higher you need to have had a previous position!!!!!!! Clearly the Anesthesia spot above is not a PGY-1 is it? And I would hope you have enough cognitive power to realize that most of the people posting the ads are idiot admins who have no clue! It also says "part time, temporary" Are residencies now part time and temporary?

Anyone with enough need for a residency spot will have enough gumption to actually look into these.
Obviously NO ONE who has matched into a PGY-1 spot needs another spot. Why would someone who matched fully be looking for a spot?
The one position above - JFK for a surg center is a PGY-2 also - clearly that resident needs to have ompleted a PGY-1.
This is common sense dude.

Reactions: 1 users

Obviously if it's for a PGY-2 or higher you need to have had a previous position!!!!!!! Clearly the Anesthesia spot above is not a PGY-1 is it? And I would hope you have enough cognitive power to realize that most of the people posting the ads are idiot admins who have no clue! It also says "part time, temporary" Are residencies now part time and temporary?

Anyone with enough need for a residency spot will have enough gumption to actually look into these.
Obviously NO ONE who has matched into a PGY-1 spot needs another spot. Why would someone who matched fully be looking for a spot?
The one position above - JFK for a surg center is a PGY-2 also - clearly that resident needs to have ompleted a PGY-1.

I could go on all day. Yes, I'm incorrect in that there are some positions out there for resident spots...but not all details are given. I'm correct in that there are positions that states "internal only" or need to have prior experience. (See Resident I) for example. So, like I quoted before...don't assume.

I could go on all day. Yes, I'm incorrect in that there are some positions out there for resident spots...but not all details are given. I'm correct in that there are positions that states "internal only" or need to have prior experience. (See Resident I) for example. So, like I quoted before...don't assume.

Clearly i am responding to the OP who needs a position - if the OP cares to find a position, he will look into some of these places and find out more information.
Additionally, there is no such thing as needing "prior experience" when applying toa PGY-1 - so the idiot admin likely made a mistake. And as you admitted there are positions for residents. End of story.
And if the ad is wonky and/or incorrect, as some idiot admins have no clue what they are doing - as in even in my program some of the admins didn't realize that residents were doctors - people like the OP will pick up his phone, call and inquire.

I will end with this. Don't promise that there are positions out there for people to apply to

1586458422043.png

I will end with this. Don't say that there are positions out there for people to apply to on indeed. I've shown more examples than you about positions that have severe restrictions are for "internal candidates only." You have only shown one thing. I don't need a position as I have one. So like I said before...don't ASSume.

Clearly i am responding to the OP who needs a position - if the OP cares to find a position, he will look into some of these places and find out more information.
Additionally, there is no such thing as needing "prior experience" when applying toa PGY-1 - so the idiot admin likely made a mistake. And as you admitted there are positions for residents. End of story.
And if the ad is wonky and/or incorrect, as some idiot admins have no clue what they are doing - as in even in my program some of the admins didn't realize that residents were doctors - people like the OP will pick up his phone, call and inquire.

You seem a little annoyed right now BTW. Just giving friendly advice to people is all. :D

These positions are for the already matched candidates at that program. The HR/Hospital policy requires a unified way for the applicants to apply there. They create these open positions for the matched candidate and they have to go there and apply and start the paperwork process. Any external applicants will be rejected and only the ones who matched through NRMP to that program will be accepted. Hope this clears the confusion. If there is a open position it should show up on the unfilled list on NRMP

Reactions: 10 users
Hopeless.

Again you are wrong - it's a PGY1 position.
Use the mind you were given - PGY-1 spots are for med students, graduating. Yes all residents will participate in a GME education and training.
Matcehd residents don't need positions.

Anyways, we are done -
OP if you want to look at Indeed, I'd suggest you do so. Hopefully you have more critical thinking skills.
These positions are for the already matched candidates at that program. The HR/Hospital policy requires a unified way for the applicants to apply there. They create these open positions for the matched candidate and they have to go there and apply and start the paperwork process. Any external applicants will be rejected and only the ones who matched through NRMP to that program will be accepted. Hope this clears the confusion. If there is a open position it should show up on the unfilled list on NRMP

BOOM! :D

Just a +1. Just because something is posted on a job site doesn't mean it's actually available. Several hospitals that receive government funding also technically have to publicly post any new jobs by law, but the spot may in fact already be filled and they're just checking a box.

The idea to look on Indeed is not terrible, but the NRMP website and word of mouth are honestly more likely to be fruitful.

Just a +1. Just because something is posted on a job site doesn't mean it's actually available. Several hospitals that receive government funding also technically have to publicly post any new jobs by law, but the spot may in fact already be filled and they're just checking a box.

The idea to look on Indeed is not terrible, but the NRMP website and word of mouth are honestly more likely to be fruitful.

Piebaldi....don't say if you dont know :D

Piebaldi....don't say if you dont know :D

Unfortunately we disagree - u either want to pick a bone with me or buy me coffee - not sure which. But anyways we disagree. Sorry dude.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately we disagree - u either want to pick a bone with me or buy me coffee - not sure which. But anyways we disagree. Sorry dude.

Dude. Did you not look at the evidence above followed by the fact two veterans disagreed with you? How naïve can you be? You obviously don't know a thing about people applying off cycle. You ASSume too much.

I second this. I called both of these places and got the same response. Seems kind of ridiculous but there you go.

Nope. Texting is bad. Especially between the attending and resident. Phone calls and written notes are the best.

I want to get everyone's opinion on something similar to OP's problem. As interns, we had business phones (since our pager's didn't work half the time), which we used to call patients. Incidentally these also had texting, so several of us had patients text us for various things. What are your thoughts on texting for this purpose?

Obviously it's a really thin line. Personally, I had a patient do it once and I felt so uncomfortable that I said further communication would have to be over the phone.

Umm you do not text patients - you can talk to them on the phone, you can treat them, you can at times prescribe stuff on the phone, etc - do NOT text your patients! certainly NOT as a resident please. some doctors in private practice do this - I wouldn't - but as a resident there is just so much to lose!! Do not do ittt!

Nope. Texting is bad. Especially between the attending and resident. Phone calls and written notes are the best.

Wow we agree on something! Lol. Sorry i couldn't resist!

I felt really bad for this patient. Her mother had recently been diagnosed with Dementia and was causing havoc, calling the police on her own daughter. But yeah in general if something feels wrong just in my gut, I usually don't do it. lol

PLEASE DONT TAKE THIS AS ME ****TING ON YOU OP.

DO NOT DO IT!

No false info - I told OP to look on indeed. And despite perhaps some of these positions being for those already matched, I don't believe all are.
Unfortunately there are malicious people on SDN that will lie about what Piebaldi said. I'm not accusing you of lying BTW. But always always call yourself.

He's calling you a secret liar

He specifically said otherwise -and no I didn't lie on anything - this is just ridiculous. I still hold what I said - I think OP should indeed look on Indeed and call some of the places.

I matched this year and that's how the program I matched is doing the on-boarding process for the interns (FYI: in their job listing it doesn't even mention it's only for matched applicants to make it even more confusing for unmatched applicants). Last year when I went unmatched I saw multiple postings on indeed and other websites including the hospitals, and I applied and even called every single program since I was desperate. The programs said the same thing mentioned above "this is only for applicants who matched into their program and not for external applicants, sorry for the confusion". The only foolproof way is to check the NRMP unfilled list, or if there is an unexpected opening they usually post in on the forums with details. Please dont give false hope to the unmatched applicants, I know how it felt last year to go unmatched and then these posting only made it worse by making me believe there were open spots.

I want to get everyone's opinion on something similar to OP's problem. As interns, we had business phones (since our pager's didn't work half the time), which we used to call patients. Incidentally these also had texting, so several of us had patients text us for various things. What are your thoughts on texting for this purpose?

Obviously it's a really thin line. Personally, I had a patient do it once and I felt so uncomfortable that I said further communication would have to be over the phone.
So, like you say, it's a thin line. If you're texting for legitimate medical reasons from your business phone, then I don't see any difference between doing that and sending a MyChart message or an email. You open yourself up to getting annoying 2am text messages from the patient by doing that... but I don't see anything unethical or unprofessional about it.

Texting from a personal phone is always murky. I'm in a pediatric subspecialty where we are heavily invested in our longitudinal patients, so several of my attendings will call and text from their personal phones... personally I hate that mostly because then my patient can get ahold of me 24/7, but again if you keep the content of the message completely related to medical care then there's nothing inherently unprofessional about it. But you definitely need to be more careful about the content if you're doing it from a personal phone.

My situation PROBABLY isn't broadly applicable to most specialties, so chances are if you're worried about it you're better off asking patients to send MyChart messages or emails. I'm just saying I wouldn't automatically tell someone that they're being unprofessional by texting a patient without context.

I use doximity app on my personal phone to call patients all the time. The caller ID is then my office number. But every phone call gets logged by me in the emr. If a patient got my personal number and called or texted, they would get one warning that all communication needs to be routed through work devices and that I would not communicate on my personal device. After that it would be immediate request to have the patient reassigned

Reactions: 7 users
I use doximity app on my personal phone to call patients all the time. The caller ID is then my office number. But every phone call gets logged by me in the emr. If a patient got my personal number and called or texted, they would get one warning that all communication needs to be routed through work devices and that I would not communicate on my personal device. After that it would be immediate request to have the patient reassigned
Yeah, that app is annoying to get signed up for it and connect it to your phone, but it's great once you have it. Previously I would use *67 to mask my number, but a bunch of patients wouldn't answer. Once I apparently forgot to use *67 and a parent saved my number, and while I've tried redirecting to my email or the clinic number a few times, sadly I'm not really in a position where I can "fire" a patient (nor would I really want to after taking care of them for several years...). This is much better.

The OB's at my current hospital do the same thing! I think it may be specialty specific. I could definitely see FM docs doing it. In general, I kind of trust my gut if I'm unsure. What I mean is, if something feels like it's crossing the line, it probably is.

I would definitely not text or call from my personal number though unless it was through an app like Doximity.

Yeah, that app is annoying to get signed up for it and connect it to your phone, but it's great once you have it. Previously I would use *67 to mask my number, but a bunch of patients wouldn't answer. Once I apparently forgot to use *67 and a parent saved my number, and while I've tried redirecting to my email or the clinic number a few times, sadly I'm not really in a position where I can "fire" a patient (nor would I really want to after taking care of them for several years...). This is much better.
If you cannot fire them, refuse to reply to texts and hang up if you accidentally pick up the phone