Position Wanted Terminated from Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IDK man that sounds like a good way to get an patient complaint against you
I’ve had complaints. Act above board and document. “Patient insisted on calling my personal phone despite being told it was inappropriate to do so and being instructed to communicate through proper channels. I have requested they be re-assigned but they are still listed as my patient. I will continue to provide appropriate medical care through the proper channels but will not communicate through my personal device”

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
If you cannot fire them, refuse to reply to texts and hang up if you accidentally pick up the phone
Yeah, I could do that. I get the messages maybe q1-2 months, so it's way more work to do that than just answer their quick question. If it's a longer message then I try to make the point of replying via email, or wait to call the next day from work.

Reactions: 1 user
I want to get everyone's opinion on something similar to OP's problem. As interns, we had business phones (since our pager's didn't work half the time), which we used to call patients. Incidentally these also had texting, so several of us had patients text us for various things. What are your thoughts on texting for this purpose?

Obviously it's a really thin line. Personally, I had a patient do it once and I felt so uncomfortable that I said further communication would have to be over the phone.

My preferred action in order of priority is the following:

1. Don't text back
2. If your program insists that you text back, your text should indicate that they should call you.

And use *67 or doximity dialer for calls to patients.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there is an open position in IM PGY2 and I know they are interviewing. Contact CMEF IM residency program, Ohio asap

Hi guys, hope you all doing good.
I was successfully working as a PGY-2 IM resident. I competed PGY-1 and 9 months of PGY-2. I have been recently dismissed/ let go from the program because of Crossing the line of professional behaviour. Right now, I am going through the process of getting the medical board license. In the mean time, I am looking for open spots for PGY-2 and PGY-3 Internal and Family medicine. I read pretty much all the discussion above but Being at my position, I am very nervous about my career.
Is there any one who has been through my position?
Has anyone started working after getting the medical license? If yes? How easy it is to get any job and how much do one get pay?

U say," my faculty including my program director are willing to give me LOR" That is wonderful. not to be pessimistic, bu i hope they give u GOOD LORs, not just a LOR. Also will they speak well of u on the phone with a prospective PD and not bad mouth u behind your back? Have they given u written credit for the time that u were in the program? some programs do not give credit at the time the resident leaves because then they cannot not let the resident stay; however when the resident applies for a license and the form is sent to the program, they give credit.
I am not familiar with the state in which u are applying for a license. Wisconsin used to give a license with 1 yr residency. i do not know current law. i hear it is easy to get a license in Michigan which requires 2 yrs; but a girl had 15 days short and they gave her a license. she said may be MI needed doctors.
There are 100s or 1000s of dismissed residents. a few have gotten into residencies elsewhere. many could not do so because of bad mouthing by former PD. some got a license but are not board certified.
Good Luck!

The punishment is too harsh... It does not fit the crime.

Thank you all for your feedback. I applied for my state medical license yesterday since I was able to get the reference forms(which is called Form B) from my faculty and from my program director and my program also gave credit for my experience.
The state where I am in right now requires one year of residency to apply for medical license. Since I have almost 2 years so it should not be any problem.
i am awaiting my state medical license now.
I have also applied for couple of open PGY 2 spots.
What are my options after getting the license to at least make some livelihood?
Feedback and help would be really appreciated

Thank you all for your feedback. I applied for my state medical license yesterday since I was able to get the reference forms(which is called Form B) from my faculty and from my program director and my program also gave credit for my experience.
The state where I am in right now requires one year of residency to apply for medical license. Since I have almost 2 years so it should not be any problem.

Urgent care
County health department
Prison system
Indian Health Service Career Opportunities | Indian Health Service (IHS)
Cash based practice and medicare/medicaid patients

Hi guys, hope you all doing good.
I was successfully working as a PGY-2 IM resident. I competed PGY-1 and 9 months of PGY-2. I have been recently dismissed/ let go from the program because of Crossing the line of professional behaviour. Right now, I am going through the process of getting the medical board license. In the mean time, I am looking for open spots for PGY-2 and PGY-3 Internal and Family medicine. I read pretty much all the discussion above but Being at my position, I am very nervous about my career.
Is there any one who has been through my position?
Has anyone started working after getting the medical license? If yes? How easy it is to get any job and how much do one get pay?

WHAT? Omg that's devasting..................I'm sorry :(

1. Other jobs:
  1. Own practice visiting seniors at home.
  2. Look into Telemedicine.
  3. Hospitalist
  4. Administrative work
  5. Research. I've heard there is a course one can take and after that u can start your own company.
  6. Teaching, perhaps in community colleges teaching anatomy, physiology, microbiology etc.
  7. Private tutoring of foreign nursing students taking nursing exams.
  8. Writing
  9. Medical reporting
  10. Wound care.
  11. Entrepreneur start a website; think of topic
  12. WRITE a list of all your interests/hobbies/passions. An idea will show up sooner or later.
  13. Cruise ship though not at this time. I've heard they accept a license in any state in the US.
2. Also a girl I know was running short of 2 yrs of residency by 15 days. She had been a resident in 3 different programs and at least 2 different specialties. Michigan gave her the license. She said that may be Michigan needed doctors.

3. Are you applying in Wisconsin? As far as i know it is only WI, PR and may be GA which issue a license with only 1 yr of residency.

1. Other jobs:
  3. Hospitalist
  4. Administrative work
  5. Research. I've heard there is a course one can take and after that u can start your own company.
  6. Teaching, perhaps in community colleges teaching anatomy, physiology, microbiology etc.
  8. Writing
  9. Medical reporting
  10. Wound care.
  12. WRITE a list of all your interests/hobbies/passions. An idea will show up sooner or later.
  13. Cruise ship though not at this time. I've heard they accept a license in any state in the US.
2. Also a girl I know was running short of 2 yrs of residency by 15 days. She had been a resident in 3 different programs and at least 2 different specialties. Michigan gave her the license. She said that may be Michigan needed doctors.

3. Are you applying in Wisconsin? As far as i know it is only WI, PR and may be GA which issue a license with only 1 yr of residency.

Visiting seniors at home? you mean like offering primary care services at home for seniors? typically you have to have a residency - not safe for someone to offer primary care services without knowing what they are doing particulalry for those with comorbidities as the elderly tend to be.
yes, i'm sure that most people who do research can start their own company. seriously? it's exceedingly difficult to do something like that.

Visiting seniors at home? you mean like offering primary care services at home for seniors? typically you have to have a residency - not safe for someone to offer primary care services without knowing what they are doing particulalry for those with comorbidities as the elderly tend to be.
yes, i'm sure that most people who do research can start their own company. seriously? it's exceedingly difficult to do something like that.
I am not in IM/FP etc. The girl i referred to in my previous post had started her own company visiting seniors at home. Perhaps it was for some type of specific work not treating 'all aspects' of the very sick.
I have spoken to another dismissed resident with 1 yr IM residency, no credit for year and no license in any state. he told me that he took a course in conducting research in NY. Now he has his own company in GA conducting research for a pharmaceutical company.
Please note that i only write what i know.

Last edited:
1. Other jobs:
  3. Hospitalist
  4. Administrative work
  8. Writing
  9. Medical reporting
  10. Wound care.

If you are an AMG, you can get a license in ~33 states after completing only PGY1...

I had my interview by the medical license board regarding the my medical license and program problems. They just asked me what happened in the program and told me they will submit it to board and will give me the decision in few dayS. I am very nervous. Does any one has any experience regarding this? Please give me some advise

I had my interview by the medical license board regarding the my medical license and program problems. They just asked me what happened in the program and told me they will submit it to board and will give me the decision in few dayS. I am very nervous. Does any one has any experience regarding this? Please give me some advise
PGY -2 Hope it turns out well.

A little update
So I got the full unrestricted medical license and DEA
I am not board eligible and certified.
what are my best options? Please guide me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Family Medicine -2020 / Trios Health, WA
PGY 1 or 2

Start: Aug 10, 2020
Deadline: Jul 30, 2020
Nicole Grove
[email protected]
Please submit a CV ,transcript, letters of recommendations, test scores, personal statement and any other additional applicable information.

A little update
So I got the full unrestricted medical license and DEA
I am not board eligible and certified.
what are my best options? Please guide me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
A lot of urgent cares in less desirable places just want a license. Same with some locums/moonlighting gigs. I’ve heard the same about IHS but don’t know

Hi:
Can you share the details of the research course.