Terminated from Volunteer Position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Svangello

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i take full responsibility for being terminated from this position, that being said will it hinder me greatly when trying to find another volunteer position?

The position was in one of the many hospitals in my area that are all run by the same private company, the hospital was the older, much smaller than the other locations, and also only had a small amount of activity. My job was to sit at a desk in a lobby and answer questions/ tell people where their friend or family member was, pretty simple and boring. I also volunteered on the weekend with no supervisor ever, alone, for four hours, or whenever i decided to leave. The only way they tracked our volunteering was with a sheet where i wrote the number of hours i worked in a tiny box. So i did this for a couple of months, if i had to miss one week i would do so and not tell anyone because i didn't know who to tell and no one contacted me about these absences (the few i had to take for finals). However July was a busy month and between family obligations, work, and moving i ended up missing the entire month (my fault i should have gone) but no one reprimanded me until i got an email after the first weekend i volunteered in August, it said i was terminated and that was that.

So i feel terrible now, i should have told someone, even though i did not have anyone to tell, but now after the coordinator fired me she made it sound as if i would never volunteer anywhere again. I'm not sure what to do as the private corporation runs most of the hospitals in the area, will they keep record of it and prevent me from volunteering again? In addition i live in a college town with no shortage of pre-med.
I would really appreciate advice, thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
coordinator

^ The person to tell. Going forward, just keep this lesson in mind. If you don't know, ask. If you don't know who to ask, ask others who to ask. Head-in-sand technique may keep your head cool, but it's usually worse than facing the problem directly. /dismountsoapbox

As for hurting you, yes, of course it hurts you to some degree. It's impossible to know what reach this person has, but your personal reputation is indeed tarnished, even if she makes no effort to hinder you. You had better believe the old "She no-called no-showed AGAIN," complaint was expressed to her peers/family/etc.

But don't take that as exceedingly negative, even if she's very influential. If volunteering at the hospital/s doesn't work out, there are many other places to help out, and they'll look just as good.

Reactions: 4 users
The situation is unfortunate, but it doesn't seem like you were really gaining much from it anyway. Maybe you can find something more interactive so that you'll be motivated to go. And of course, figure out who your surpervisor/coordinator is at the next place. I wouldn't stress too much over being terminated from a volunteer position, it's not as bad as being terminated from a paying job, in my opinion. The coordinator might have just been really irritated with you and wanted to scare you a bit by saying you won't be able to volunteer anywhere else. There clearly are hospitals around that aren't run by that private corporation. Also, keep in mind that you aren't restricted to volunteering in a clinical setting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with gannicus, I am sure she was trying to scare you. Most likely she put no thought into it besides sending you the email. Just go to the next hospital and pretend nothing happened.

So i take full responsibility for being terminated from this position, that being said will it hinder me greatly when trying to find another volunteer position?

The position was in one of the many hospitals in my area that are all run by the same private company, the hospital was the older, much smaller than the other locations, and also only had a small amount of activity. My job was to sit at a desk in a lobby and answer questions/ tell people where their friend or family member was, pretty simple and boring. I also volunteered on the weekend with no supervisor ever, alone, for four hours, or whenever i decided to leave. The only way they tracked our volunteering was with a sheet where i wrote the number of hours i worked in a tiny box. So i did this for a couple of months, if i had to miss one week i would do so and not tell anyone because i didn't know who to tell and no one contacted me about these absences (the few i had to take for finals). However July was a busy month and between family obligations, work, and moving i ended up missing the entire month (my fault i should have gone) but no one reprimanded me until i got an email after the first weekend i volunteered in August, it said i was terminated and that was that.

So i feel terrible now, i should have told someone, even though i did not have anyone to tell, but now after the coordinator fired me she made it sound as if i would never volunteer anywhere again. I'm not sure what to do as the private corporation runs most of the hospitals in the area, will they keep record of it and prevent me from volunteering again? In addition i live in a college town with no shortage of pre-med.
I would really appreciate advice, thanks in advance.
Apply outside that hospital and affiliated hospitals. You should be fine.

Thank you for the replies! I volunteer for non clinical activities with an org I'm in, and I know of a smaller clinic that is not affiliated so I might try there for now.

Thank you for the replies! I volunteer for non clinical activities with an org I'm in, and I know of a smaller clinic that is not affiliated so I might try there for now.
If you have any questions about little clinics like that, I can help out.

I wouldn't be too worried, OP. Take it in stride and learn form the mistake of not maintaining a professional communication network.

It is a hard lesson to learn, but better to learn it now. Check out hospice, smaller clinics, free clinics, Planned Parenthood. All can use volunteers and you may feel even more useful.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in the same situation here with you but one question: so would you put those hours in your resume?
I'm afraid the med school adcoms may check the validity of those hours?

I'm in the same situation here with you but one question: so would you put those hours in your resume?
I'm afraid the med school adcoms may check the validity of those hours?
Are you talking about the AMCAS or elsewhere?

This is pretty much how a couple of my volunteer experiences went. They were so boring that I kind of stopped showing up. Nobody ever contacted me, though. :shrug:

yes, the AMCAS :)
On the AMCAS, they rarely verify hours, as long as they don't sound crazy. If they do, they contact the person only to verify that your hours are correct, not to ask for a reference on your work as a volunteer. Aka, they will just ask: "Did docwannabe1008 work xx hours at your hospital?" and nothing beyond that.

Reactions: 1 users