3rd year DO student wondering about his IM residency choices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

47ForYou

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone, I'm a OMS-3 planning to take only COMLEX exams. I was planning on taking USMLE, but could not because of personal reasons.

My COMLEX lvl 1 score is 520. And I seem to be on a much better trajectory (Studying wise) for COMLEX - 2.
No research, apart from a couple of poster presentations, talks, non-academic journal articles etc - I am working on that although I hate research with a passion.
Community involvement is minimal - working on that too.

I took a year long LOA to pursue a business opportunity I always wanted to. (Red flag? Yellow flag? No flag since I have a good reason for the LOA?). Otherwise I have never failed any classes etc.

What kind of IM programs should I shoot for/am competitive for? I'm VERY flexible Geographically but would prefer in/around Virginia if possible.