terrible freshman GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeurosciencePrincess

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It'd be hard for us to predict how much your GPA could potentially go up, but a 2.9 during your first semester of college is definitely salvageable.

Reactions: 1 users
Well lets see- (2.9(9)+ 4.0(15)+ 4.0(12)(6))/8 will give you your answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
For my first semester of college, I took 9 credits (withdrew from 4 credits) and got a 2.9 GPA. This is from only taking 9 credits. Next semester I will be taking 15 credits and I plan to do well in them now that I have realized my weaknesses. How much do you think my GPA could go up from taking summer classes and taking over 12 credits each semester? Are my chances for medical school ruined? I realize that from now on I have to be less lazy and not crash at the end of the semester! On the bright side, I do have another semester of freshman year left!

Your chances for med school are NOT ruined. But you do have less room for error going forward. Admissions understand that some people make poor choices when they're 18. 2.9 over 9 credits is absolutely nothing over the course of a degree. Just prioritize grades and everything else will fall into place. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
For my first semester of college, I took 9 credits (withdrew from 4 credits) and got a 2.9 GPA. This is from only taking 9 credits. Next semester I will be taking 15 credits and I plan to do well in them now that I have realized my weaknesses. How much do you think my GPA could go up from taking summer classes and taking over 12 credits each semester? Are my chances for medical school ruined? I realize that from now on I have to be less lazy and not crash at the end of the semester! On the bright side, I do have another semester of freshman year left!

Simple math will tell you that your GPA is salvageable. But I'm concerned that you can't manage a decent GPA with a minimal (9 credit) course load. Work on things and get back to us in a year.

You need to focus on getting a 3.7-4.0 with almost double the amount of credits. Change your study habits and do well. A single mistake rarely ruins your chances, but compounded mistakes definitely will

Simple math will tell you that your GPA is salvageable. But I'm concerned that you can't manage a decent GPA with a minimal (9 credit) course load. Work on things and get back to us in a year.
Yes i understand that. That was only the case for this semester because I withdrew from a 4 credit class.

I was being a little facetious but the equation is assuming you literally get a 4.0 for every class from here on out and would get you: (26.7+60+288)/8 AKA 374.7/8 aka 46.8. I forgot to then write to divide it by your average credits per semester (which is 12) giving you a 3.9. The crux of it all is that you are totally fine if you get 4.0s. But it is easy to say and hard to do.
Best of luck, it is a long road.

Reactions: 1 user
Good news: 9 credits is a tiny percentage of your overall gpa
Bad news: you got below a B average taking a half-time load. To get As with 9 credit hours probably takes about 20 hours a week of effort. What were you doing with your other 148 hours each week?

Good news: 9 credits is a tiny percentage of your overall gpa
Bad news: you got below a B average taking a half-time load. To get As with 9 credit hours probably takes about 20 hours a week of effort. What were you doing with your other 148 hours each week?

Well I withdrew from a 4 credit class.