Terrible GPA, good MCAT score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nchoh724

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I didn't decide to go to medical school until the begginig of my sophomore year of college, and before that, I was a complete idiot and botched up all my classes, so my GPA was really low. It took me until the end of my sophomore year to raise my GPA up again, but even still, it's terrible. I'm doing MCAT prep right now, and I'm getting really good results during my practice tests, but I want to be 100% confident so I'm taking a prep class over the summer and taking the actual test in August.

I met with my pre-health advisor at my university and he told me there's no way I can get into any medical school with my GPA the way it is, even if I were to get all A's now until I graduate (I'm a junior now). He told me my only options were to apply out of country (which is something I really don't want to do), get my masters, retake my major classes in another university after I graduate, or do a postbacc program. The only reason I'm not too fond of a postbacc program is because they're REALLY expensive.

I don't want to "reconsider" another career option. My advisor, and so many other people, tried to tell me so many times that there was no way I'd be able to get into medical school and I should do something else with my life. No. I am 2000% sure I want to be a doctor, no matter how long it will take and no matter how much extra work I have to do. I went through a rough time freshmen year, and unfortunately, it has effected the rest of my college career in a negative way. I've come to the conclusion that I will not settle for anything less than becoming a doctor.

Any advice? I'd like to get as many opinions as I can before making a decision. I'm talking to my own doctors to see what they think, as well.

Thanks so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If we knew your current GPAs, we could be of help. Your advisor sounds ignorant.

As a start, retake any F/D/C science coursework.

Stay tuned!

Ok so I didn't decide to go to medical school until the begginig of my sophomore year of college, and before that, I was a complete idiot and botched up all my classes, so my GPA was really low. It took me until the end of my sophomore year to raise my GPA up again, but even still, it's terrible. I'm doing MCAT prep right now, and I'm getting really good results during my practice tests, but I want to be 100% confident so I'm taking a prep class over the summer and taking the actual test in August.

I met with my pre-health advisor at my university and he told me there's no way I can get into any medical school with my GPA the way it is, even if I were to get all A's now until I graduate (I'm a junior now). He told me my only options were to apply out of country (which is something I really don't want to do), get my masters, retake my major classes in another university after I graduate, or do a postbacc program. The only reason I'm not too fond of a postbacc program is because they're REALLY expensive.

I don't want to "reconsider" another career option. My advisor, and so many other people, tried to tell me so many times that there was no way I'd be able to get into medical school and I should do something else with my life. No. I am 2000% sure I want to be a doctor, no matter how long it will take and no matter how much extra work I have to do. I went through a rough time freshmen year, and unfortunately, it has effected the rest of my college career in a negative way. I've come to the conclusion that I will not settle for anything less than becoming a doctor.

Any advice? I'd like to get as many opinions as I can before making a decision. I'm talking to my own doctors to see what they think, as well.

Thanks so much in advance!

If we knew your current GPAs, we could be of help. Your advisor sounds ignorant.

As a start, retake any F/D/C science coursework.

Stay tuned!

My major GPA is 2.8, my overall is 3.1 :(

Look into DO programs. AACOMAS' grade replacement policy does wonders for the the GPA.

MD will not be possible without grade repair via a post-bac or SMP. You can do a DIY postbac....and it doesn't have to be at your UG school. But, if finances are limiting, this will be a several year project. You'll need to ace this type of coursework, and ace MCAT, and then apply to those schools that look at your last few years, where you have been abele to excel.

My major GPA is 2.8, my overall is 3.1 :(