Terrible GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scaredddd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been calculating my Science GPA all wrong because I thought C+s were 2.5 (GPA) not 2.3.

Now I have no choice but to get all As from now on in Science classes.

Is it possible? Should I take a ****load of science classes to make up for it?

Members don't see this ad.

What year are you? In any way, you're fighting a difficult uphill battle, but your hills gonna be tremendously steeper as a junior second semester than a freshman first semester...

How many credits have you taken yet? It might still be possible to get an acceptable GPA if the number of credits is low, but if your undergrad career is well on... aim for DO grade replacement.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a sophomore.
And, if I got As until the end of senior year, I could have a 3.5.

But, I don't think I can do it. I've been doing so bad for 2 years after all.

I'm a sophomore.

Only you can really know whether you can get A's from now on. Go to office hours, stay after class, utilize study groups, get a tutor, make a study schedule, etc. do whatever you need to do well.

There have been many students who did badly at first, but with an upward academic trend, and an otherwise solid app (including solid mcat), are accepted to med school. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Freshman Science GPA: 2.74
Sophomore (So Far): 2.2
^ I failed Orgo and am taking the entire sequence this summer, shooting for all As. I also just took 2 science classes this year, taking more next quarter. I go on quarter system and am taking a LOT more classes in the next two years. Kind of a quarter system advantage?

I'm a sophomore.

NONE OF THIS TALK! It's completely up to you to pull off those As. What @Oso said... immerse yourself in resources, pull off strong grades, don't overwhelm yourself but learn (AND PRACTICE!) the quality of perseverance... then use your lessons to propel you through your PS and secondary essays :)

EDIT: you will want to strongly consider a gap year to include your senior grades on your AMCAS app

Reactions: 1 user
Freshman Science GPA: 2.74
Sophomore (So Far): 2.2
^ I failed Orgo and am taking the entire sequence this summer, shooting for all As. I also just took 2 science classes this year, taking more next quarter. I go on quarter system and am taking a LOT more classes in the next two years. Kind of a quarter system advantage?

Like emilym said, don't take too much at one time or you may not survive.

Depending on what your final gpa looks like, it would probably be a good idea to apply to a mix of DO/MD schools (or just DO if it's too low). DO schools do grade replacement, meaning they will replace your original Orgo F.. Nice!

Edit: reciprocal shout-out to the one and only @PROFNL Griefer

Reactions: 1 users
Like emilym said, don't take too much at one time or you may not survive.

Depending on what your final gpa looks like, it would probably be a good idea to apply to a mix of DO/MD schools (or just DO if it's too low). DO schools do grade replacement, meaning they will replace your original Orgo F.. Nice!

Edit: reciprocal shout-out to the one and only @PROFNL Griefer
Definitely will consider DO, but I need to work my ass off to have a chance in either. One F replaced won't take care of all my C+'s.
I will work my *** off.
Does it look bad to take elective science courses (easy As)?

NONE OF THIS TALK! It's completely up to you to pull off those As. What @Oso said... immerse yourself in resources, pull off strong grades, don't overwhelm yourself but learn (AND PRACTICE!) the quality of perseverance... then use your lessons to propel you through your PS and secondary essays :)

EDIT: you will want to strongly consider a gap year to include your senior grades on your AMCAS app
Gap year for sure!
I know, I need to stay confident!
Thanks. :D

Definitely will consider DO, but I need to work my ass off to have a chance in either. One F replaced won't take care of all my C+'s.
I will work my *** off.
Does it look bad to take elective science courses (easy As)?

You mean like " bio 100: introductory nutrition concepts for people who plan to never do anything with science again" ?

Yeah don't take that. Take interesting (mid to upper level) bio classes, like neurobio, physiology, microbio, etc. Work hard and stay on top of things. You need to do well to prove to schools AND to yourself that you will be able to handle the rigorous med school coursework.

Reactions: 1 user
You mean like " bio 100: introductory nutrition concepts for people who plan to never do anything with science again" ?

Yeah don't take that. Take interesting (mid to upper level) bio classes, like neurobio, physiology, microbio, etc. Work hard and stay on top of things. You need to do well to prove to schools AND to yourself that you will be able to handle the rigorous med school coursework.
Yeah, basically science classes for non-science majors.
Got it, thank you!

I was in your same situation when I was in undergrad. I had to take F's in 3 science courses because of my dad's battle with cancer and then my moms stroke on top of working full time. Luckily I had A's otherwise. It was hard to overcome and I also had to take some classes when I finished school (calc 2, human genetics course etc) while working full time but it can be done. I got it up to a 3.4 which from a 2.4 was a great leap. Don't overwhelm yourself and use a GPA calculator to see how many credits you would need to bump it up.

Best of luck to you!

I was in your same situation when I was in undergrad. I had to take F's in 3 science courses because of my dad's battle with cancer and then my moms stroke on top of working full time. Luckily I had A's otherwise. It was hard to overcome and I also had to take some classes when I finished school (calc 2, human genetics course etc) while working full time but it can be done. I got it up to a 3.4 which from a 2.4 was a great leap. Don't overwhelm yourself and use a GPA calculator to see how many credits you would need to bump it up.

Best of luck to you!
Thank you, you clearly were naturally smart and just had personal stuff going on, I don't think I am.