Test Date: Opinions

Started by Surf92
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Surf92

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm planning on taking my MCAT next year and applying that cycle. However, I am unsure as to when an optimal time would be to actually sit for the exam. Is it better to take it in March/April (attempt to line it up with spring break maybe?) and have my apps ready to go on day 1 or to take it a few weeks after finals (May/June) and submit later. Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated!
 
I just took it today. If I could do it over again, I would have taken it in March or April if I had finished all of the prereqs and was able to study for it. I need to submit my application this week, but now I have the added stress of not knowing how I did on it to gauge which schools I should apply to.
 
I took it in like May 22nd last year (finals ended the first week of May). I tried to study during the semester and it just did not work for me. Definitely didn't help that I left to study abroad the next day.

This year, I knew I needed more time to prepare. I signed up for the June test. Finals ended first week of May again. I made sure I had my primary application ready before the first day to submit. I just had to copy and paste my essays and check some boxes. I then put my effort into two months of studying (intensely) and took the June 21st test. I got my scores back on Tuesday, after already filling out 8 secondaries, and then got 3 more that day.

I recommend the second one, just because I felt like I had more time to prepare for the test and I didn't have to balance school and MCAT studying. I am proud of my scores and I am sure I will get in with them.