test for median comparison

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pjmrg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, i hope someone could help me, i am doing some research to find a test that could compare medians, like te t-test that compares means, could you help me please? and if it exists... how do i use it in the spss??? hey thanks for any help you can give me.

Members don't see this ad.

hi, i hope someone could help me, i am doing some research to find a test that could compare medians, like te t-test that compares means, could you help me please? and if it exists... how do i use it in the spss??? hey thanks for any help you can give me.

You will need to use non-parametric statistics, therefore look around for the Mann-Whitney test, or Wilcoxon Rank-Sign test. The conditions for Mann-Whitney are that the samples are independent, while the Wilcoxon Rank-Sign test requires that the samples are dependent. Suggest you google or wikipedia it up, or even better talk to a statistician. Most universities provide free consultation to their students.

I've used SPSS but I'm not too familiar with it. Suggest you use a program like SAS if you intend on publishing results or if you talk to statisticians. Most of the stats profs use SAS. If you're in a bind, then MiniTab works too..however that program has a nasty habit of reporting P<0.0001 as P=0.000...which is silly.