• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

test for median comparison

pjmrg

10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2005
  1. Medical Student
hi, i hope someone could help me, i am doing some research to find a test that could compare medians, like te t-test that compares means, could you help me please? and if it exists... how do i use it in the spss??? hey thanks for any help you can give me.

relentless11

Going broke and loving it
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2001
  1. Pre-Medical
hi, i hope someone could help me, i am doing some research to find a test that could compare medians, like te t-test that compares means, could you help me please? and if it exists... how do i use it in the spss??? hey thanks for any help you can give me.

You will need to use non-parametric statistics, therefore look around for the Mann-Whitney test, or Wilcoxon Rank-Sign test. The conditions for Mann-Whitney are that the samples are independent, while the Wilcoxon Rank-Sign test requires that the samples are dependent. Suggest you google or wikipedia it up, or even better talk to a statistician. Most universities provide free consultation to their students.

I've used SPSS but I'm not too familiar with it. Suggest you use a program like SAS if you intend on publishing results or if you talk to statisticians. Most of the stats profs use SAS. If you're in a bind, then MiniTab works too..however that program has a nasty habit of reporting P<0.0001 as P=0.000...which is silly.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.