Testing August 17th! Scored 122 on CARS HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

milnila

Reaction score
So I've been studying on and off for the test because I got a new job and just fixed my hours where I'll be home by 3 pm now to study for mcat. I just took half of AAMC 1 and got 24/59 and with 16 incomplete and and 26/53 for Cars (121) with 10 incomplete. I truly need advice on how to proceed the next few weeks. Keep in mind I haven't really done cars practice and was a bit rusty with C/P test taking conditions. Am I too far off?

Members don't see this ad.

So I've been studying on and off for the test because I got a new job and just fixed my hours where I'll be home by 3 pm now to study for mcat. I just took half of AAMC 1 and got 24/59 and with 16 incomplete and and 26/53 for Cars (121) with 10 incomplete. I truly need advice on how to proceed the next few weeks. Keep in mind I haven't really done cars practice and was a bit rusty with C/P test taking conditions. Am I too far off?

You need to delay your exam. Getting a 24/59 with 16 incomplete on CP and a 26/53 with 10 incomplete on CARS indicates severe content gaps and poor test-taking skills that I don't think you can remedy within less than 3 weeks.

You need to delay your exam. Getting a 24/59 with 16 incomplete on CP and a 26/53 with 10 incomplete on CARS indicates severe content gaps and poor test-taking skills that I don't think you can remedy within less than 3 weeks.
I've already sent in my primaries so when should I change my test date to?

I've done my content just didn't brush up on forumulas I'm thinking drilling practice q's and more practice w/ CARS since I didn't really practice cars? idk I need help people please. I've already submitted primaries

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you applying MD or DO?
I honestly believe that you answered your own question. You said you're rusty with C/P and haven't practiced CARS, Thoroughly review chem and phys content and practice CARS.

Are you applying MD or DO?
I honestly believe that you answered your own question. You said you're rusty with C/P and haven't practiced CARS, Thoroughly review chem and phys content and practice CARS.
MD of course and I think I"m just going to grind out problems since IU've covered content review and just need to get into habit of Timing.

Taking the MCAT on August 17th would just be shooting yourself in the foot. You’re not going to be able to improve enough over the course of several weeks to get a decent score, especially since CARS is the hardest section to improve.

If you want to stay in the running for MD, the wisest choice right now would be to take a gap year and devote several months to thoroughly preparing for the MCAT.

I would suggest using NextStep and Kahn Academy for CARS. These are the only resources I used and I was able to increase by score from a 122 on my first MCAT to a 127 on my second. I didn't really start CARS specific prep until about 2 weeks before my exam, but doing practice questions for all sections definitely helped as general practice will help increase your reading speed/ability to find key points. Timing is also HUGE, and if you are missing that many, you clearly need to work on your timing. This is not something that you can improve on overnight.

If you have not yet improved enough from when you first started this thread, I would suggest pushing it back to the latest test date for this cycle at least (September 14), but you would be best off taking a gap year and taking more time to study. I took my first test when I was VERY unprepared, and I got a 495. I was able to take in again and do better, but it was discouraging (not to mention it really hurts your bank account to pay for 2 $300+ tests). Save yourself the pain and take it when you are really prepared.

Best of luck to you! Remember to relax and know that everything will work out eventually.

I would suggest using NextStep and Kahn Academy for CARS. These are the only resources I used and I was able to increase by score from a 122 on my first MCAT to a 127 on my second. I didn't really start CARS specific prep until about 2 weeks before my exam, but doing practice questions for all sections definitely helped as general practice will help increase your reading speed/ability to find key points. Timing is also HUGE, and if you are missing that many, you clearly need to work on your timing. This is not something that you can improve on overnight.

If you have not yet improved enough from when you first started this thread, I would suggest pushing it back to the latest test date for this cycle at least (September 14), but you would be best off taking a gap year and taking more time to study. I took my first test when I was VERY unprepared, and I got a 495. I was able to take in again and do better, but it was discouraging (not to mention it really hurts your bank account to pay for 2 $300+ tests). Save yourself the pain and take it when you are really prepared.

Best of luck to you! Remember to relax and know that everything will work out eventually.
Thanks for the advice. Btw my test is 31st and my chem is like 123-124 and that's the easiest to improve I hear do you th8ink I can get it to 128 at least. What would you recommend?

For car

For CARS I analyzed my mistakes and did improve, went from getting 26 right to 34 right

Thanks for the advice. Btw my test is 31st and my chem is like 123-124 and that's the easiest to improve I hear do you th8ink I can get it to 128 at least. What would you recommend?
I'm not sure if this is the easiest to improve.. this was my toughest section, and no matter how much I studied, my score did not change very much. I would recommend watching Kahn Academy videos for these topics though as they will be the most helpful if you need help understanding some of the concepts!

I'm not sure if this is the easiest to improve.. this was my toughest section, and no matter how much I studied, my score did not change very much. I would recommend watching Kahn Academy videos for these topics though as they will be the most helpful if you need help understanding some of the concepts!
based on what I've heard people the best way to improve on it is by doing problems and from the last time I took it or made this post I improved from 24 to 30.

Reactions: 1 user