Testing Friday, Can I get my goal? & MCAT Scoring Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted849476

#1) When I took the exam the first time I didn't study & got a 501. I only practiced by taking AAMC FL 1 & 2, and got 501 & 502 on those resp. but w/a ton of variance in section scores (123-128). Now, for my second take of the exam, I studied and retook FL 1 & 2 and got more consistent, higher scores, 512, 515 resp. with only one 126 & the rest >127....

BUT... when I took FL 3 today I only got a 511 (128/127/130/126), testing Friday! So I'm worried; were the scores inflated bc/I had taken FL1&2 before? (I didn't remember the answers or anything, but was more familiar with some of the CARS passages). Testing in 2 days and I want a 510 and am nervous AF. Just gonna be memorizing and reviewing my weakest concepts tomorrow then I guess. Any advice? Esp. about FL3 vs. real scores?

#2)
Is it possible that by virtue of how AAMC standardizes MCAT scores that, say, if your cohort of test takers does worse on average than other groups that you get a higher score? Like, when I take my exam, who all is considered in scoring? (Taking in August.) Is it possible that summer test takers are more/less prepared than say January takers and so scores are different just by who I test with? AAMC Official Guide doesn't make it clear when the groups "reset" or if it depends on which version of the test you had, etc., other than alluding to scores resetting in 2018. In that case, if I have being standardized against a smaller sample, won't it be more likely that my score is de-/inflated compared to what it would be if it were standardized against years and years of this particular administration of the exam?

Members don't see this ad.

1) It seems like you have been scoring much higher than the first time that took the MCAT. How long was it between taking the FL1&2 the first time and the second? Shooting for 510 is very realistic for you, as is a higher score. Just go in with confidence.

I took 5/24 MCAT this year. My scores for reference were: FL1 504, FL2 508, FL3 506, actual 506. Needless to say, my cars score was much lower on my practice full lengths, but my P/S and C/P were much higher. I'll be retaking because cars < 124. Don't let that scare you, just know that there tends to be more variability with the cars score.

2) Not entirely sure, but I believe that your scored is generated relative to each test date for the application cycle. For instance, your score will be generated using results from January 2018 test takers, my test date and your test date. Still need some clarification on this, maybe someone else can help.

Goodluck on your test date. Just be confident, and relax!

Reactions: 1 user