Testing impacts due to DO/MD merger

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

huttops

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi- I'm trying to learn more about the tactical impact of the DO/MD merger for these groups of students and wanted to get your thoughts on if my read was correct. Do you all agree? My thoughts as follows:

• For MD students: No impact on the amount of USMLE testing conducted. Might see an increase in number of MD students taking the COMLEX to try to boost their chances of matching into hyper-competitive specialties or a specific geography. Competitiveness slightly increases because it is now easier for DO to match into MD programs.

• For DO students: No impact on the amount of COMLEX testing conducted but would see a dramatic decrease in the amount of USMLE testing (if I understand this correctly, now a COMLEX score would suffice for consideration into an MD residency, so limited need to take USMLE). Competitiveness for DO residencies increases a lot because MDs can now match into DO residencies.

• For IMG students: No changes to USMLE testing but sharp increase in the number of COMLEX exams so that they can increase their chances to match into a US geography.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi- I'm trying to learn more about the tactical impact of the DO/MD merger for these groups of students and wanted to get your thoughts on if my read was correct. Do you all agree? My thoughts as follows:

• For MD students: No impact on the amount of USMLE testing conducted. Might see an increase in number of MD students taking the COMLEX to try to boost their chances of matching into hyper-competitive specialties or a specific geography. Competitiveness slightly increases because it is now easier for DO to match into MD programs.

• For DO students: No impact on the amount of COMLEX testing conducted but would see a dramatic decrease in the amount of USMLE testing (if I understand this correctly, now a COMLEX score would suffice for consideration into an MD residency, so limited need to take USMLE). Competitiveness for DO residencies increases a lot because MDs can now match into DO residencies.

• For IMG students: No changes to USMLE testing but sharp increase in the number of COMLEX exams so that they can increase their chances to match into a US geography.
Only DO students will continue to take COMLEX. MD students aren't eligible (Eligibility — NBOME). Plus, what MD student would want to cram two years' worth of OMM just to take it?

Many DO students already take the USMLE so they can compete on a more even level with their MD counterparts when applying to residencies. Will this go up? Probably, but there will still be a portion who only take COMLEX.

As for IMGs, the same issue with COMLEX applies: they aren't eligible.

Reactions: 1 user
Many DO students already take the USMLE so they can compete on a more even level with their MD counterparts when applying to residencies. Will this go up? Probably, but there will still be a portion who only take COMLEX.

Understood on your other two points but you lost me here. Since the COMLEX will now be acceptable for MD Match, wouldn't there be fewer DO students taking USMLE exams?

Understood on your other two points but you lost me here. Since the COMLEX will now be acceptable for MD Match, wouldn't there be fewer DO students taking USMLE exams?
DO students have to take the COMLEX for medical licensing purposes and to graduate from osteopathic medical schools. They can also take the USMLE, though it is not required. MD students have to take the USMLE for their licensure, and most MD-granting institutions require it for graduation. Technically speaking, residencies don't care what your scores are so long as you passed your requisite board exams. In practice, residencies absolutely care about these board scores for application and Match ranking purposes.

COMLEX has always been acceptable for the ACGME Match. That's not to say that most residency directors view it in a good light, but that's a separate issue. Starting this year there is no more AOA Match solely for osteopathic graduates, so any MD or DO student can apply to any residency.

ETA: I can't say with certainty that COMLEX has always been accepted in the ACGME Match. I'm no expert on the history of the exam. But it has been acceptable for a while.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
DO students have to take the COMLEX for medical licensing purposes and to graduate from osteopathic medical schools. They can also take the USMLE, though it is not required. MD students have to take the USMLE for their licensure, and most MD-granting institutions require it for graduation. Technically speaking, residencies don't care what your scores are so long as you passed your requisite board exams. In practice, residencies absolutely care about these board scores for application and Match ranking purposes.

COMLEX has always been acceptable for the ACGME Match. That's not to say that most residency directors view it in a good light, but that's a separate issue. Starting this year there is no more AOA Match solely for osteopathic graduates, so any MD or DO student can apply to any residency.

ETA: I can't say with certainty that COMLEX has always been accepted in the ACGME Match. I'm no expert on the history of the exam. But it has been acceptable for a while.
COMLEX has been accepted back before I matched in 1996,

I'd like to clarify the comment about merger of MD's and DO's. The only thing that has changed, is that standards and accreditation are now determined by one organization - ACGME.

With regard to the match - the only purpose of the old AOA match was for matching to AOA accredited programs. DO's have been able to participate in the NRMP match for millennia.

Like mentioned above, Ive heard that many MD PDs dont know how to interpret COMLEX scores and thus dont take it seriously. Even with the merger, DOs will still need to take step 1 to get a chance for a MD residency in most cases.

There still remains many programs that wont even consider a candidate without a step 1 score.

USMLE is a pseudo requirement at a lot of programs, and anyone wanting to maximize their match chances should take it. There are a lot programs in the field I'll be applying to, programs that currently have multiple DO's on roster, that flat out say they won't accept any DO without a USMLE score.