Texas A&M vs. UIUC preparation for non-clinical practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlilily

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between Univ. of Ill Urbana-Champaign, and Texas A&M. My impression is that A&M has a better reputation all around. The problem is that during my interviews I got the impression that U of I had more experience with students going into non-clinical practice (I mean research, wildlife, zoo ... anything without clients). I think I want to eventually work at a zoo. During my A&M interview I asked some questions about what most students did with their DVM degrees and it seemed almost unheard of that students would do anything other than clinical practice unless they also had a Ph.d. They were also a great deal less friendly at A&M.

I want to go to a school that really cares and helps their students pursue the careers that they want. I don't want to go to a school where it seems like they have no experience helping a student like me. I also am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that maybe they are just unfriendly during the interview periods ( interviewed twice with the same experience). My other friend did not have this experience in her interview, and it seems like their alumni are completely in love with their school. I currently live in Texas so if I didn't have to move I would really like to stay, but I'm not sure if A&M is the school for me.

Members don't see this ad.

You have to decide what's right for you. From your post, it sounds like that's Illinois.

Texas A&M tends to be unfriendly during the interview period.

I went to Texas A&M for my undergrad and I loved it. However, there is a big difference between the Texas A&M campus and their college of veterinary medicine. Throughout my visits to multiple veterinary schools, I have found the vet students at A&M to be a little more arrogant than the others.

Texas A&M is at the forefront of research. The first cat was cloned there. So I believe it would be a nice place to go for non-clinical practicing.

As far as working at a zoo, I believe that the best route to that career is through an internship. Internships are offered in exotic medicine after you graduate from vet school. You may even be able to land an internship at an actual zoo.

Just follow your heart when making this decision. It'll all work out.