Texas and California training licenses with history of probation and non-renewal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IonClaws

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have heard it's very difficult if not impossible to obtain full unrestricted medical licenses in Texas and Cali with disciplinary history in residency which I have.

Does this also apply to training licenses assuming I am accepted to programs in the respective states?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it will depend on the specifics of the disciplinary history/probation.

The following is taken from a training license document specific to CA:

Grounds for Denial: Each applicant’s credentials for licensure in California are reviewed on an individual basis. The Board has the authority to deny licensure based upon an applicant’s act of dishonesty, unprofessional conduct, conviction of a crime, discipline by a licensing board in or outside of California, or inability to practice medicine safely.

You didn't have your prior license/training license revoked or anything did you? Here is something from Texas:

Here is a sample Texas training license app (see Unusual Circumstances In Training section). It looks like you'll have to disclose and let them decide:

You could try calling the office for medical licensing for those states. When I was applying for my state license (Not CA or TX) I called the office because I had a minor incident on my record from when I was younger. They told me to attach an extra sheet explaining it and it shouldn't be a problem. It wasn't a problem. I had my license in about 3 weeks.

I'm not saying your specific situation won't be an issue, but I am suggesting that contacting them directly may give you a bit of insight.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Good question. I am in a similar situation and about to embark on applying for a training license. I suspect that if you were accepted as a resident then you would be somewhat fast tracked for the license.