Texas Dental Schools OOS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentite24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

What is your take on applying OOS to dental schools in Texas?
I am thinking about applying to UThealth Houston and San Antonio. I have heard that their dental schools are great, and I have noticed that they are very cheap also. I am thinking about practicing as a general dentist in Texas one day as well.
- I am from the Midwest (Appalachian area)
- 4.0 GPA, biology major and chem minor
- 21/20/20 DAT
- My brother will be doing a general practice residency in Texas next year, and will most likely be practicing there after that (I am not sure if that helps me).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Move in with your brother, establish residency in Texas, apply.

Reactions: 2 users
You can throw an application out there if you want, just be aware that very few OOS applicants get an interview at the Texas schools regardless of stats (also Houston doesn't really admit OOS applicants at all, so skip that one).

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Texas Dental schools make me proud to be a Texan, oh and the cowboys too. You can try but its a long shot. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
If you're going to apply to the TX schools, you have to go through the TMDSAS application, so you might as well apply to all 3 schools for your best chance. Great GPA and decent DAT but honestly you're shooting for 5-10 spots for each TX school competing against around 800 OOS applicants. If getting into a TX school is really that important to you, you should try and become a resident. I don't know exactly the procedure/requirements for that but I know you have to live down here for a certain period of time and get a job.

You have a good stats, so might as well give it a try.
True, the chance is slim. But that does not mean it's impossible.
Give it a go. What is there to loose anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello SDN,

I am thinking about applying to UThealth Houston and San Antonio. I have heard that their dental schools are great, and I have noticed that they are very cheap also. I am thinking about practicing as a general dentist in Texas one day as well.
- 21/20/20 DAT
- My brother will be doing a general practice residency in Texas next year, and will most likely be practicing there after that (I am not sure if that helps me).

Thanks!
I have heard from the deans on this personally as I have toured all three schools in Texas. Houston literally takes 1-0 out of staters. Usually the one they take will have an MD, or PhD, something to that effect. San Antonio takes 0-10 I believe. Dallas is 0-10. I would attempt it but would not hold my breath.

Hello SDN,

- 21/20/20 DAT

Thanks!

Did anyone get an invite to Texas Dental schools yet?