Texas Gas programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

dave262

Anybody have any guidance on which of these programs are hardest to get into? I get the feeling Galveston and Houston would be tops followed by Baylor, Southwestern, A&M, UTSA, and then Tech. (however, im an MSII and still dont know my butt from a hole in the ground) (# slots) Note: Im not interested in prestige, just competitivness.

UT-Houston (22)
UT-Galveston (14)
Baylor (15)
UT-Southwestern (17)
Tech (3)
A&M (6)
UTSA (12)

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say that my program is pretty competitive and getting much more so, given the quality of people we have taken over the past 3 years. We will put 15 spots up through the match and take 2-3 outside the match from other specialties. I like the fact that we look outside the match to round out the class because, aside from the fact that I was one of those persons, it really adds a wonderful variety of backgrounds and perspectives to each class. In the incoming CA-1 class, in addition to the people selected through the match, we will have a 5 year military flight surgeon, neurosurgeon, two internal medicine transfers, and a family practitioner joining that group. Makes for interesting conversation on call nights.

Galveston is probably the hardest to get in to right now and it has earned its good reputation. I like to think that Southwestern is moving up fast though and it doesn't hurt to have an ex-Galveston professor (Johnston) as our chair.

Galveston is that good?

Had no idea about that. Why is this?

Galveston has been very stable throughout both the good and bad years. While other programs filled their rosters with questionable candidates in the 90's, for the most part Galveston did not. They do a fair amount of basic science research and provide good clinical volume although you have to get farmed out to other programs to get some of your requirements met in cardiac, peds, etc.

Didactics are solid there. Lifestyle is good and moonlighting opportunities are built in. All in all a very solid program with good connections for graduates to get jobs and fellowships.

Their success was one of the reasons that we hired Dr. William Johnston away from their staff to be our chair 3 years ago. We are using a number of approaches that have worked successfully at Galveston but are adding many other features/programs from other successful residency programs. What we lack right now is extensive laboratory/basic science research, although that is improving as we hire more research oriented staff. What we excel at is providing any and all types of cases and in quantity.

I believe both programs along with Baylor, San Antonio, and Houston can compare with most programs across the nation and all of these programs are pushing themselves to improve. A&M and Tech lack clinical volume primarily. Tech has a great pain management fellowship that may change with staff movement although nothing is definite yet.

Don't even mention El Paso. Last resort type of program.