Texas IV sterile compounding certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cnguyen167

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am moving to Texas & one of the requirements that you have to have IV certification. Not sure if anyone can help me to get those credits?

Members don't see this ad.

What area are you moving to? This has been a requirement in Texas since the early '90s. It is required to be a 20 hour ASHP/ACPE approved course (40 hours for technicians) UH, UT, TTU teach their students between P3 and P4 years. Most of the ASHP approved community colleges (Houston community college, Austin community college) teach the course as well, although they generally teach the 40 hour course for technicians. I know that Texas Southern does not make the course mandatory, so pharmacy students must enroll/take the course on their own. I am not sure what the newer programs (Incarnate Word, Kingsville, UNT, UT Tyler) do for their students. There are also programs where a credentialed, qualified observer can certify the hands on portion. Also, check with potential employers. When we have an out-of-state graduate who we want to hire badly enough :) we generally will include the certification as a part of their job offer. This won't be an issue for someone with hands-on sterile products experience, but it isn't going to be free or cheap to obtain. Our cost is about $250 or $300 just to certify through ASHP, and that doesn't even count the 10 or so hours of hands-on required of our pharmacist trainer.

Reactions: 1 user