Texas Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

florida

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Texas job environment. From talking to residents, attendings, and postings on Gaswork it seems to be pretty good. Does anyone know if salaries are above average? Are CRNAs less prevalent than on the east east coast (giving me a couple good years before my job is taken over)? And specifically is south Texas- San Antonio or Corpus Christi, a good place to practice. Do the private insurers pay well in Texas? And I assume Texas has a higher percentage of uninsured due to undocumented workers. How is the payer mix in Texas.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Texas job environment. From talking to residents, attendings, and postings on Gaswork it seems to be pretty good. Does anyone know if salaries are above average? Are CRNAs less prevalent than on the east east coast (giving me a couple good years before my job is taken over)? And specifically is south Texas- San Antonio or Corpus Christi, a good place to practice. Do the private insurers pay well in Texas? And I assume Texas has a higher percentage of uninsured due to undocumented workers. How is the payer mix in Texas.

your name is "florida" and you're looking for a job in texas?

:confused:

Unfortunately I don't think practicing in Florida would be a good decision. Reimbursements, the med mal situation, and predatory groups have scared me off. I would have liked to return, but don't want to be paid in sunshine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply southwestern. Is anyone familiar with San Antonio- it looks like the largest group is Tejas (>80 anesthesiologists). Are they the only group in town? And I haven't been to Corpus Christi since I was a kid. I realize the Texas gulf coast doesn't quite compare to Florida's gulf coast, but is Corpus a good place to raise a family/safe/decent nightlife/ ect.. Any replies appreciated.

Unfortunately I don't think practicing in Florida would be a good decision. Reimbursements, the med mal situation, and predatory groups have scared me off. I would have liked to return, but don't want to be paid in sunshine.

The job situation in Corpus is not good unless you want to be treated poorly, and paid very little.

There are a lot of thugs wanting to take your money in Texas. A nice starting salary is good but if it is all you will ever make or an out right lie in the case of an Anesthesia Management company where they promise $400K but really pay you in the form of a 180K base and the rest in a nonexistent bonus. The Anesthesia Management company make working for them so miserable that if you don’t get fired by them for complaining about their failure to pay you as promised or because you complain about working 16 hour days and being on call every third day with no post call day off you will probably quit before you finish your first year.

The big groups the major cities have a history of hiring new graduated for 180K working them as hard as they can then firing the just before they are up for partner in three years. Don’t make that mistake if you pick the wrong job you will have to pay the big tail up to 25K.

Best choice is to find a job where you get paid for your work on a per case basis, the more you work the more you get paid, Instead of giving 40% to 50% of every dollar you make to a nonworking owner of an Anesthesia Management company or the lazy partners of a big group that will never give you partnership but leach off you for three to five years until they fire you for another new graduate.

“A well-known, unshaven, unkempt, foul-smelling, slightly-cyanotic, sixty-two-year-old
alcoholic gentleman was carried into our emergency room by three million lice, all screaming,
‘Please save our host.’”

excerpt from the doctor's written note shown to the jury in a medical malpractice
suit, circa 1977
user_offline.gif