Texas License

Started by pillu
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pillu

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do we need full medical license for fellowship or in training license is good enough? I am feeling dizzy after reviewing the requirements for full license. Any tips on license application process in Texas?
 
Do we need full medical license for fellowship or in training license is good enough? I am feeling dizzy after reviewing the requirements for full license. Any tips on license application process in Texas?

This is likely institution/program dependent rather than state dependent. After a quick perusal, TX doesn't have a rule (like CA does) that anyone over PGY2 level must have a full license. Your program or GME office however may have more restrictive requirements. Check with them.

That said, I would just go for it personally. You are going to have massive amounts of time 2nd and 3rd year of fellowship to moonlight and you can't do that without a license. Also, I doubt TX is more of a hassle to get a license in than any other state so eventually you're going to have to nut up and deal with what is, just about everywhere, an enormous hassle.
 
This is likely institution/program dependent rather than state dependent. After a quick perusal, TX doesn't have a rule (like CA does) that anyone over PGY2 level must have a full license. Your program or GME office however may have more restrictive requirements. Check with them.

That said, I would just go for it personally. You are going to have massive amounts of time 2nd and 3rd year of fellowship to moonlight and you can't do that without a license. Also, I doubt TX is more of a hassle to get a license in than any other state so eventually you're going to have to nut up and deal with what is, just about everywhere, an enormous hassle.

Thanks GutOnc. I just checked with the GME. They will help with getting 'in training' license. I could work on full license if I want.
 
The GME office will help you get a Physician in Training (PIT) permit for TX. That's all you need to be a fellow. Usually the GME office will initiate the application and pay the fee. That being said, go for the full license. Its a pain in the butt and expensive but worthwhile for moonlighting purposes.