Texas med school Good MCAT eh GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kelly11

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I looked at the data for Texas med schools, and it seems schools like UTHouston and TTech are more receptive to high mcat and lower gpa, while UTGalveston and UTSW like higher GPA. Does anyone know if that's true or not? My MCAT is better than my GPA and I was wondering. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
32 and 3.7, although science is 3.5

Also I don't know how accurate that is. UTMB Galveston Mcat average isn't that high. They are really into GPA more than MCAT

Your MCAT and GPA are pretty comparable in my opinion. You're likely competitive for any school in Texas except for UTSW and Baylor. I would recommend buying the MSAR and not relying on sites like startclass that are often several years out of date. MSAR will give you medians as well as 10th and 90th percentiles to help you tailor your application.

Your MCAT and GPA are pretty comparable in my opinion. You're likely competitive for any school in Texas except for UTSW and Baylor. I would recommend buying the MSAR and not relying on sites like startclass that are often several years out of date. MSAR will give you medians as well as 10th and 90th percentiles to help you tailor your application.

Thanks! Should I not even bother applying to UTSW on Tmdas or Baylor on Amcas?

Okay thanks so much for your input! Is there an online MSAR? Since i'm applying right now, I would rather not wait for it to mail lol

I know several w lover stats than you that got into UTSW. Not sure about baylor, their #'s seem the highest out of all schools. I' apply everywhere since TMDSAS is one fee for all schools

Is there anything on the MSAR that you can't find on websites though? I'm only applying to Texas schools, and I wonder if just can't use the information on their webpages?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know several w lover stats than you that got into UTSW. Not sure about baylor, their #'s seem the highest out of all schools. I' apply everywhere since TMDSAS is one fee for all schools

Good point! I might as well

I'm going to a Texas school. If you're going to only apply to Texas then there is no point in MSAR in my opinion. To apply to Baylor you would need to go through AMCAS which is its own painful process and your numbers aren't that hot for Baylor anyway unless you're URM. And there's no point in worrying about which school likes higher GPA or higher MCAT, they're all pretty much the same besides UTSW and Baylor in terms of acceptance averages

Is there anything on the MSAR that you can't find on websites though? I'm only applying to Texas schools, and I wonder if just can't use the information on their webpages?

MSAR is really the only source of 100% accurate and up to date information on GPA, MCAT, and applicant/interview/matriculation stats broken down by in-state, out of state, and international students. You theoretically could pull together an application without ever looking at MSAR, but you would be running the risk of using bad information which, given what you're doing, is a pretty terrible idea considering how cheap and useful the MSAR is.

MSAR is really the only source of 100% accurate and up to date information on GPA, MCAT, and applicant/interview/matriculation stats broken down by in-state, out of state, and international students. You theoretically could pull together an application without ever looking at MSAR, but you would be running the risk of using bad information which, given what you're doing, is a pretty terrible idea considering how cheap and useful the MSAR is.

How am I using bad info when i'm getting it all from the med school websites?

How am I using bad info when i'm getting it all from the med school websites?

Some medical schools have outdated information on their website. Not all, and outside of the ones I applied to, I couldn't tell you which, but several have information from, say, 2011-2012 and don't mark it as such, which can be misleading for current applicants when stats are different. If you do a comprehensive comparison between data on websites and MSAR data, you'll find discrepancies. MSAR requires that information is accurate and up to date while school websites may not get around to updating as frequently.

Now, that being said, I'm not totally familiar with the Texas application process and you have some people who have been through the TDMSAS process here telling you that MSAR might not be necessary if you're applying exclusively to Texas schools, but if you're applying outside of TDMSAS, I think that MSAR is a 100% necessary purchase.

Some medical schools have outdated information on their website. Not all, and outside of the ones I applied to, I couldn't tell you which, but several have information from, say, 2011-2012 and don't mark it as such, which can be misleading for current applicants when stats are different. If you do a comprehensive comparison between data on websites and MSAR data, you'll find discrepancies. MSAR requires that information is accurate and up to date while school websites may not get around to updating as frequently.

Now, that being said, I'm not totally familiar with the Texas application process and you have some people who have been through the TDMSAS process here telling you that MSAR might not be necessary if you're applying exclusively to Texas schools, but if you're applying outside of TDMSAS, I think that MSAR is a 100% necessary purchase.

Oh okay! And yeah, the only school i was considering applying out out TMDAS was Baylor, but since my stats aren't too good, i'll just stick with TMDAS.

I'm going to a Texas school. If you're going to only apply to Texas then there is no point in MSAR in my opinion. To apply to Baylor you would need to go through AMCAS which is its own painful process and your numbers aren't that hot for Baylor anyway unless you're URM. And there's no point in worrying about which school likes higher GPA or higher MCAT, they're all pretty much the same besides UTSW and Baylor in terms of acceptance averages

Last edited:
Congrats on the MCAT. assumng you are not a URM, i think your gpa will tank your chances at baylor and utsw but apply anyway. i feel confident that some of the other schools in texas will eagerly scoop you up if you can explain your gpa at an interview. also you will get a little more leeway if its an engineering degree.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! Should I not even bother applying to UTSW on Tmdas or Baylor on Amcas?

Scuttlebutt has it that UT Houston discriminates against anyone who fails to apply to ALL the Texas medical schools, so DO apply to UTSW. Since AMCAS is due later and often sent out later, if you were to "plan on" applying to Baylor but later change your mind, I don't know that UTH would find out about it.

Reactions: 1 users
For what it's worth, I applied last cycle with a 3.75/3.55 (cgpa/sgpa) and 36 MCAT. Got interviews at 5 schools: UTMB, UTH, A&M, UTSW, and Tech Lubbock. Pre matched at UTH and A&M, and am headed to UTH. Had friends with lower MCAT scores and higher GPAs pre match to UTMB. Rejected from UTSA, El Paso, Baylor, pre interview. Absolutely apply to every school, going on interviews is a great experience and you meet a lot of great people!

Reactions: 1 user