Texas medical school class size increases for 07

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasFool

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know some schools are going up, let's combine what we know

A&M : from 80 in '06 to 100 in '07
TT:
UTSA:
UTH:
UTMB:
North Tex:
Baylor:

Members don't see this ad.

I have added what I know (please change anything that might be wrong)....

TT:150 in '07
UTSA:
UTH:
UTMB: 200 in '07 (no change from last year)
North Tex: 150 in '07
Baylor:
UTSW: 220 in '07

put in the class sizes from last year also if you can

Members don't see this ad :)

UTSA:
UTH:
Baylor:

I don't have my literature in front of me, but I think UTMB said their entering class of '06 was 229 and they were shooting for 230 again in '07. I'll check when I get home.

what's this about a new texas medical school?? rumor ?

...not that it will really affect me but... :oops:

Texas Tech in El Paso. Should open in 2008 I think.

UTSA:
UTH:
Baylor:
UTMB is 238 this year. That's all I remember right now.

I thought that was their Step 1 avg. 229 is what I remember for class size.
238 is a ridiculous average Step I score. Are you sure that is right for UTMB? Wow.

Southwestern's and UTMB's class sizes are incredible. 220-230? That's huge.

Southwestern's class size is around 235 this year.

Texas Tech in El Paso. Should open in 2008 I think.

Uh I thought Tech already had a med school.

And an admissions coordinator at Stonybrook told us yesterday that AAMC has been leaning on US medical schools to increase their classes, so its no surprise that TMDSAS is doing same thing.

238 is a ridiculous average Step I score. Are you sure that is right for UTMB? Wow.

Southwestern's and UTMB's class sizes are incredible. 220-230? That's huge.

Yes, I remember them saying 238 Step 1 average. Mychelle, when did you interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought that was their Step 1 avg. 229 is what I remember for class size.
No, 226 is their average Step 1 score. Baylor's average Step 1 is 238 -- the highest in TX. The answers you seek about UTMB are right on their front page:

http://www.som.utmb.edu/

....but I am pretty sure that they have increased their class size to 238 this year (increased by 8 seats.)

EDIT: Actually, if I'm not mistaken, aren't all UT Medical schools supposed to go to class sizes of 238 this year?

How difficult is it to get into Texas schools as an out of stater? Is there any point in applying with average stats?
If you REALLY want to go to one of the schools, I'd say it's worth a shot, but if you are adding any as a "safety" school/not one of your top choices, I wouldn't waste my time with the TMDSAS.

No, 226 is their average Step 1 score. Baylor's average Step 1 is 238 -- the highest in TX. The answers you seek about UTMB are right on their front page:

http://www.som.utmb.edu/

....but I am pretty sure that they have increased their class size to 238 this year (increased by 8 seats.)

EDIT: Actually, if I'm not mistaken, aren't all UT Medical schools supposed to go to class sizes of 238 this year?
That sounds a lot more realistic. 238 for UTMB sounded way on the lofty side. 238 for Baylor is right.

yay...a few more spots for out of staters for next year...:love: :love: :love: :love:

Uh I thought Tech already had a med school.

And an admissions coordinator at Stonybrook told us yesterday that AAMC has been leaning on US medical schools to increase their classes, so its no surprise that TMDSAS is doing same thing.
In '08, a separate Medical School will open in El Paso, TX. It will be a satellite campus of TTU, but all 4 years can be spent there (right now, the plurality of TTU students do just their 3rd and 4th year rotations in El Paso.) This is similar to the expansion of the Temple campus of TAMU next year ('07) to be a 4 year satellite campus. Of course, the plans are for both of these satellite campuses to grow to become full-fledged Medical Schools of their own over the years. TAMU-Temple will have a small class (20 students) in its first year -- expect TTU-El Paso to probably have about the same.

I believe in TX, the class size increases/medical school expansions are actually mandated by the state legislature (perhaps in response to the lobbying by the AAMC that you speak of?)

I believe in TX, the class size increases/medical school expansions are actually mandated by the state legislature (perhaps in response to the lobbying by the AAMC that you speak of?)
Is Baylor increasing their class size, too? Or is it just the state schools?

This thread makes me so happy *tear* :love:

Is Baylor increasing their class size, too? Or is it just the state schools?

No, because Baylor is a private school, they are not subject to the whims of the legislature. Baylor's class will stay at 168 this year.

What do you guys think about UTMB's financial difficulties at the moment?

From today's Houston Chronicle:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/4259662.html
They make me really nervous, and I asked about them when I interviewed, but, of course, they told me that none of the changes had affected the Medical School (the Dean had not yet resigned at that point -- her husband had just been beaten up a day or two before my interview.)

No, because Baylor is a private school, they are not subject to the whims of the legislature. Baylor's class will stay at 168 this year.
Yeah, they're private, but they still get a ton of money from the state if they accept 75%+ Texas residents, so I was just wondering if the state could lean on them since they have that carrot to dangle in front.