Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Texas Medical School numbers

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by therealadvisor, Feb 28, 2007.

1. therealadvisor

Academic Administration
    Here are the Texas Medical School numbers as promised. I am sorry about taking so long to get this up. If you have questions I will do my best to answer them, but I might not have an answer! Enjoy.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. therealadvisor

Academic Administration
    OK, I was not sure how it was going to upload. I changed the format to pdf.

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

4. Anastasis

Anastasis caffeinated for safety
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Thanks so much - would you mind if I add this info to a TMDSAS FAQ thread?

5. therealadvisor

Academic Administration
    Go for it. I have the 2005 numbers as well. Does anyone want to see these?

6. sprinkibrio

Medical Student
    sure!

7. baylormed

baylormed On the Search

Post Doc
    Wow, those numbers are scary.

~3000+ applicants for each school. Although most people probably applied to all schools (except the many that don't apply to TCOM and TT) so there is much overlap.

8. therealadvisor

Academic Administration
    Here are the numbers for match night. I posted these before but not as a pdf.

Attached Files:

9. future_dr_house

Resident [Any Field]
    These results are kind of frightening. Average MCAT scores went up by an average of 1.5-2 points?? Also, the number of offers extended this year went up at most schools by 100?

10. Gobble Town

Gobble Town Lurkin' up a storm dawwig

Medical Student
    I'm guessing most were multi-offers

11. Rocket3004

Rocket3004 Member

Medical Student
    so UTSW made LESS offers than last year... am I reading that right? :eek:

But I guess in the end when it pans out w/ Baylor/ OOS schools than maybe that number will begin to climb...

12. SportsMedMD

FYI... UTSW said in the e-mail they extended 401 offers last year, not 291.

13. DrVanNostran

Resident [Any Field]
    Reading those numbers were so depressing. Texas is slowly becoming California...

14. therealadvisor

Academic Administration
    These numbers or straight from TMDSAS' director. They are were completed with this years match. Several schools may have made more offers after Match day last year and this could happen again this year.

15. SportsMedMD

So the 2006 dont take into account anything after the match that year?

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. kerplunk112

Non-Student
    i dont think the change is significant...only because the average mcat score went up this year(apr 2006) it was a 25.6...also they gave out a lot more of the higher scores (almost double). for ex. i remember reading they gave out almost twice the number of 37's in 2006 year than in 2005. and im talking a bout percentiles out of the total applicant pool here.

not really sure why they changed the curve for the april 06 exam...

18. munnabhai

munnabhai Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    I am kinda surprised to see such a big jump between the avg mcat / gpa of applicants intervied and applicants accepted. I may be wrong but I was under the impression that the numbers only served to get you the interview and it was all dependent on your interview from there on out.

Please god (or in this case Baylor).... bring ut:sw's avg mcat and gpa down:rolleyes:

19. aggiesarah2007

Medical Student

That is so funny right now. Seriously. I'm not sure ironic is the right word to describe it... but its funny.:laugh: :laugh:

20. kemper

kemper kemper

Pre-Medical
    I'm pretty sure that those averages are for the offers, and not necessarily for the schools final 2007 class.

21. Monarch Kong

Monarch Kong It means King Kong

Medical Student
    So the number for offers extended...is that total offers sent out? Or total applicants that accepted offers and are attending the school? I also thought that UTSW claimed to have extended around 400 offers in the previous cycle? To ensure the proper class size, surely 265 total offers extended is a number that is cutting it pretty close?

22. therealadvisor

Academic Administration
    I will have to check with UTSW to see about the discrepancy between the numbers. Can anyone pm or post the e-mail that says 400 offers?

23. aggiesarah2007

Medical Student
    I'm no advisor :) but I am guessing that UTSW ended up giving 400 offers after waitlist and all that. Is what you posted just match/prematch numbers?

And I'll try to attach UTSW's email in a pm. I feel wierd about putting it up for somereason :)

24. kemper

kemper kemper

Pre-Medical
    My understanding is that the averages are for all offers. I suspect that the averages will go down for the schools that have a lot more offers than acceptances, because the applicants that turn down offers probably have high stats.

25. THH

THH

Medical Student
    damn, those numbers are scary.. :(

26. batman1983

Pre-Medical
    Hello,

I am interested in applying to med schools in Texas, especially Houston and Galveston, and was wondering about the state residency requirement. I was born in Houston and lived there till I was 7. I have lived in California ever since, but most of my extended family still remains in Texas. I have heard that the Texas schools must take 90%Texas residents, but I was wondering, since I was born in Texas, and lived there for a significant amount of time, would I be considered a Texas resident or given similar treatment as Texas residents in the application process. Furthermore, would my stats (34R and 3.6 GPA from UC Berkeley) make me competitive at the UTs as an out of state applicant if I am not considered for Texas residency?

Thanks

27. Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg Long Live the New Flesh!
    Physician

Attending Physician
    You are not a Texas resident. If you are independent, you must have lived in Texas for 1 year for a non-academic reason to be considered as a resident by "self." If you are dependent, you can be classified as a Texas resident if one of your parents lives in TX (there are other conditions, but I don't really know what they are.) So, it doesn't look, to me, that you can be considered a TX resident.

I'd suggest that you look at the TMDSAS application. One section (like the second one) was completely dedicated to determining residency and it had a kind of step-by-step process of questions to answer.

As far as your stats as an out-of-stater, nobody knows if you will get in. The average GPA last year was 3.65 and the average MCAT was around 27. Therefore, your GPA is slightly below average, but your MCAT is above average for TX schools. It doesn't cost that much to apply, so if you are really interested in going to TX schools, I'd just do it.

28. aggiesarah2007

Medical Student
    I agree with Jota. You aren't a resident, but I think you can google the requirements to become one, but from what I read Jota is right. I think you have a strong MCAT and a decent GPA so you might as well try. UTH and UTMB don't have secondaries so you won't be spending a whole lot of extra cash either.

29. potato51

Attending Physician
    You'd have a good shot at Texas schools. Your MCAT is great, and your GPA is very good considering it's Berkeley (a GPA-killer from what I hear). Believe it or not, you don't have to be an unbelievable applicant to get into Texas schools, since relatively few OOS people even apply to the TMDSAS. And while you're not a Texas resident, you have TX connections and that could make even more of a difference.

Just apply early and you should be okay, provided you don't come off as a sociopath in your interviews.

30. TexPre-Med

TexPre-Med Banned
    Banned

Medical Student
    Depends on who you talk to. OOS in TX is very hard to get into. An OOS friend of mine did not get an interview to UT-H with a 37Q MCAT and was told by the admissions committee that too many OOS people applied with higher MCAT's than him. Just plain out of luck. He did interview at 2 places and got into UTSW, Emory, and JH I believe. Kind of funny to get accepted to JH and no interview at UT-H because you weren't competitive enough.

31. sprinkibrio

Medical Student
    I can't believe they told him his mcat score was his weak point. That's kind of lieing in my opinion.

32. sprinkibrio

Medical Student
    I can't believe they told him his mcat score was his weak point. That's kind of lying in my opinion.