Texas neurology residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmkola15

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any background on the neurology residency programs in Texas? (recommend programs, those that are stronger than others, etc).
any input/recommendations I'd appreciate. :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

1. UT Southwestern ( I think is by far the best now!!)
2. Baylor Houston (but has slipped a ton)
3. UT SA
4. UT Houston

Southwestern is looking more and more like the jewel of Texas in Neuro (what I hear). I have several friends applying there so I hope it works out for all of us. I love Dallas. Great city.

I can give you a personal eval of the Baylor residency. It's a good program! There are some changes happening to the program at higher levels but it has little effect on the residency experience. We still have one of the best places to learn here at the medical center. We work at a County hospital, the VA hospital and two private hospitals. Few programs give you this kind of exposure. When you leave this program, you can go ANYWHERE!

Members don't see this ad :)
I do research with UTSW neurology dept. Nice and knowledgable faculty. I heard Baylor is losing it's reputation with prominent faculty leaving the department.

Thanks to everyone for the input - I ended up applying to UT Southwestern...Looking forward to seeing Dallas for the first time.

kmkola15 welcome to sunny Dallas :) UTSW is a good school. Wish you luck!

UT houston is a great program to train in. They have a very busy stroke service and they rotate at MD anderson for their Neuro-oncology.

I would not recomment Baylor - agree that it is pretty unstable right now and not much of a reputation from the neuro perspective.

UT Houston - good for stroke training. . .otherwise not great. Very long hours. One resident indicated that it was not high on his rank list and was considering transferring out if possible.

Definitely check out UT San Antonio. From what I understand, the PD's husband has been sick this year, making her involvement in the interview process somewhat subpar. . .and that is a shame considering all of the wonderful faculty and research opportunities in SA. The research imaging center focuses on neuroscience, has 2 PET scans, several fMRIs, and even a freakin' 7T experimental MRI. The faculty seemed friendly and they have Dr. McGuire, Cavasos (sp?), and Benevente (sp?). Fairly chill residency - lots of time for family and that beautiful SA weather.

UTSW - great reputation - but very research intensive. A number of international grads (but accomplished int'l grads). Good if you're interested in basic science research - will see a lot of pathology and zebras. Beware that it is a very rigorous program though.

I have a slightly different perspective than the previous poster. I agree that UT Houston is heavy on stroke and works long hours (although not over 80) but it is a very well rounded program (even though heavy on stroke.) Epilepsy is state of the art with several neurosurgical procedures a week including phase 1, 2, and 3 grid/resections. They also have a Meg scanner (only 1 of 20 institutions in the nation I believe.) Movement d/o top of the line with Dr. Mya Schiess. She works with the neurosurgery dept very closely to perform several DBS, intrathecal baclofen, and performs many botox injections for rigidity. Even experimenting with DBS in MS-spasticity patients. Neuro-onc at MD Anderson (need I say more?) Stroke has Dr. Jim Grotta (need I say more? ask your faculty if you're not sure who this is.) EMG/neuromuscular is building and provides residents a good training in performing EMG. MS is pretty good with Dr. Jerry Worlinski (spelling?) The only area UT houston is lacking is cognitive neurology.

The resident that is considering switching may be doing so for personal reasons. However, the majority of residents seem to work hard but end up very well trained, especially in stroke. A residents training in stroke at UT Houston rivals that of a fellowship-trained person anyday.

UT-Southwestern.... so good they had three positions go unmatched last year and had to fill them in the scramble...

UT-Southwestern.... so good they had three positions go unmatched last year and had to fill them in the scramble...

hmmmm...but you could say that about other great residencies...like
Wash U....Michigan!!!! Neither of these filled either??

What I heard is that like Wash U they had thought they would have all the top stars coming to Southwestern and they forgot they are not MGH!!! Moral of the story...You have to rank everyone that is acceptable....no matter if your an applicant or residency!! I'm sure UT Southwestern and Wash U wont make that mistake again...

BTW where are you?? U Miss?? I checked because your comment sounded like a disgruntled person..hmmm?? Southwestern didn't rank you??

UTSW reputation is research strong, but the residency program does not support research. During my interview, I asked about research opportunities & was told no more than 1-2 months (for the entire 4 years) dedicated to research would be supported by the PD.

In my opinion, that makes it a better option for fellowship than residency.

I would not recomment Baylor - agree that it is pretty unstable right now and not much of a reputation from the neuro perspective.

UT Houston - good for stroke training. . .otherwise not great. Very long hours. One resident indicated that it was not high on his rank list and was considering transferring out if possible.

Definitely check out UT San Antonio. From what I understand, the PD's husband has been sick this year, making her involvement in the interview process somewhat subpar. . .and that is a shame considering all of the wonderful faculty and research opportunities in SA. The research imaging center focuses on neuroscience, has 2 PET scans, several fMRIs, and even a freakin' 7T experimental MRI. The faculty seemed friendly and they have Dr. McGuire, Cavasos (sp?), and Benevente (sp?). Fairly chill residency - lots of time for family and that beautiful SA weather.

UTSW - great reputation - but very research intensive. A number of international grads (but accomplished int'l grads). Good if you're interested in basic science research - will see a lot of pathology and zebras. Beware that it is a very rigorous program though.
Just a minor point here, UTSW also has a freakin' 7T experimental MRI.

UTSW is a good place. The research reputation is well deserved but does not apply to the residency program. The hours on ward services are abominable, but other months are very reasonable. Clinic is reasonable. PD and faculty are all approachable and charitable with their time and knowledge.

What do you think about Methodist-Houston neuro ???

The only thing I've heard is that the hospital as a whole is rich and ranked on US News. And ~5 years back they un-affiliated with Baylor and affiliated with Weill Cornell. So what would your residency diploma say from Methodist-Houston ???

It is impressive how outside people try to say some stuff about the texas programs...and it is usually very inaccurate. Baylor has regained a lot of its prestige during the last years...The institution is the third in the country regarding NIH funding for neuroscience research...and recently built a 20-floor building just for neuro research (the third building). Every year 10 spots are offered, and never went to scramble....It is one of the few institutions in the country that offer rotations in every neuro subspecialty, and fellowships in almost all. Methodist is just a rich hospital...their program is very small ( 3 spots) and last year they scrambled 2 out of their 3.

With regards to a future academic career, based on my research into this when I went through the match, UTSW and Baylor seemed to be the most oriented in that direction, though I daresay, all of the programs will put out good clinicians. The new Chair at UTSW is a solid neuroscientist and really wants to push research/academics. They're definitely expanding their faculty ranks and grabbing folks from some of the top programs.

I think a lot depends on what you want to do with your career. I will admit that I did not go to my Baylor interview, but that's just because if I had to live in TX, I could only stomach (barely) living in Dallas.

I'm curious as to where you would find such information. I've never seen it on any of the residencies websites. I tried looking on scutwork.com but only found info about which spots are currently open.

I have no interest in going to Texas. I'm not even in the match. But this is incorrect, if only partially.

Last year, according to the NRMP data on their website, UTSW offered 6 categorical positions and one advanced, and they matched the 6 categoricals in the main match. The previous year, they offered only 6 categorical positions, of which three were matched in the main match. The previous two years, all positions were filled in the main match. It is not a shame, I think, to have to scramble every now and then.

For instance, in 2008, when UTSW had to scramble, Duke only filled one of their 4 categorical slots in the main match. It happens.

Last edited: