Texas Pharmacists Immunize with Physician Protocol?

Started by pharm B
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pharm B

HansomWare
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been following a patient with pneumococcal meningitis for the last week or so and I was looking over the vaccine guidelines, and I wondered if Texas pharmacists could provide that vaccine.

TSBP has a section in its Rules page about immunizing and vaccinating under physician protocol. I can understand that in a pediatric population, but it made me start looking for where we've received the go-ahead to immunize adults with flu vax without an established protocol.

Is there a clear Texas law on this? Even TPA's website has the same "under physician protocol" statement on it.
 
Not sure about Texas, but NY allows influenza and pneumococcal vaccines only.
 
The great state of Wisconsin has decided to change our immunizing laws. Now, they allow pharmacists to administer any vaccine to the FDA approved age group to anyone over the age of 6. I was joking with some of the techs that we should get stickers and lollipops.