Texas Residency Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danae39

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could shed some insight on my situation. I am currently living OOS for school, MS degree conferred August 2017. I am applying to only Texas schools because I consider Texas my home. However here is the situation I am in.

TX HS
Texas undergrad, but not public.

I am currently 24.
Texas DL renewed 2017
Current TX voter registration.
Own a vehicle in TX, with all the appropriate docs..

Parents own property.

I accepted a job at a local health facility here in the current state I am in now, but I am worried that I will lose my residency status. I know being out of state for school counts as temporary absence, but I am not sure about working for around 9 months before moving back to Texas in May of next year (2018).

Will working this long outside the state cause me to lose resident status? For the 2017 tax year my parents will claim me as a dependent relative because I will qualify. (only 4 months working an as needed job, this will keep my gross income low enough)

Will this claim keep my resident status safe for EY 2018??

They will obviously be unable to claim me in 2018 because I will have worked 5 months of a full time job and no longer meet the income requirements to be claimed as a dependent relative.

Will the inability to claim me as a dependent in 2018 effect me for EY 2018 and void my resident status?

Should I work here until I find a job in Texas then move? Just to be on the safe side?

Thank you all for any insight!

Members don't see this ad.

We're the wrong ones to ask...
The TMDSAS has a whole section on that, and if I'm not mistaken, you can call them and ask for their guidance. Worst case, you may be able to buy some real estate here -- you know how cheap it can be.

Reactions: 1 user