Texas residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYCMS2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to help a friend in the following situation:

He grew up in Texas, graduated high school there, went to college out of state. While in college, his parents moved to another state. His parents still claim him as a dependent on their taxes. He wants to apply to Texas medical schools as an instate resident.

Is there any barrier to him doing this? Did his residency/domicile change when his parents moved away, or can he continue to claim Texas residency for app purposes? Is there anything special he needs to do to strengthen his claim on Texas residency.

Please, no speculation - I am looking for responses from people who have actually gone through the process under similar circumstances. I know there is some "Texas high school graduate" rule, but would like to hear about this in plain English.

Members don't see this ad.

He is not a resident of Texas because he is a dependent of someone who has established domicile in another state.

http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/medical/residency.html

http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readtac$ext.ViewTAC?tac_view=5&ti=19&pt=1&ch=21&sch=B&rl=Y

If he moved back to Texas and lived there for 12 months by Oct 1st of the year he was applying he would become a resident again through the HS graduation option.

It is possible to petition to be considered a TX resident. He could fill out that information in the "explanation" section of the core residency questionnaire. I have no idea how often that happens.

The best bet would probably be to contact a TX school or even better the Texas Higher Education board directly here https://www1.thecb.state.tx.us/CFT/comments/

Last edited:
Similar situation happened to me. Grew up in Texas my whole life, went to HS there and all that.

I left TX for 3 years to play a sport full-time and then went to college in a different state. Both my parents still live in TX, I have a TX drivers license, and am registered to vote there. All of those summers I came back and worked in TX and payed taxes there for those months.

They denied residency despite that. Texas is very strict - I'd suggest not bothering with it. My advice is to fill out the TX common application for med school... At they end they judge your residency.

Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Similar situation happened to me. Grew up in Texas my whole life, went to HS there and all that.

I left TX for 3 years to play a sport full-time and then went to college in a different state. Both my parents still live in TX, I have a TX drivers license, and am registered to vote there. All of those summers I came back and worked in TX and payed taxes there for those months.

They denied residency despite that. Texas is very strict - I'd suggest not bothering with it. My advice is to fill out the TX common application for med school... At they end they judge your residency.

Hope that helps.

Wow, really? That seems a bit ridiculous. Could you appeal that decision at all?

Great info - yes, my pal is screwed, or so it seems.

Thanks.

Hope that helps.

Seriously? You should look into that, as I had kind of a similar situation, but with maybe less TX connections than you, and they've told me that I'd be a TX resident.

Hope that helps.

You only went out of Texas for sport an college (~7 years?) and they took away your residency claim? That doesn't add up...