Texas Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RiPSTONE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be applying with a 27 (PS:9/V:7/BS:11) and a 4.0 as a Texas resident. What are my chances for in-state MD and DO schools? What are my chances for out of state MD and DO schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Any experiences stick out to your application, or URM? a 27 is probably too low for MD schools, for Texas and especially out of state MDs who wouldn't give you a preference like TX does. Can you retake the MCAT? (also nobody knows what competitive stats will be for the new UT Rio Grande MD school opening)

I don't plan on retaking as I'll accept any acceptance this upcoming cycle. Hopefully I can get into TCOM then!

Members don't see this ad :)
I see, I think you an have excellent chance for both TX DO's schools (assuming you can apply to UIW's new DO program this coming cycle?). Also, it's not unheard of to get into an MD school with those stats I guess, so apply as soon as possible, make sure the rest of your app is as flawless as it can be, and hope for the best! good luck!

Not to sound arrogant, but I think the MCAT is the only weak point of my application. I had a much higher AAMC average, but I guess I just didn't perform well on test day. I'm trying not to let this define me and hopefully I can get into one of the Texas MD schools. Thanks for the input!

Not to sound arrogant, but I think the MCAT is the only weak point of my application. I had a much higher AAMC average, but I guess I just didn't perform well on test day. I'm trying not to let this define me and hopefully I can get into one of the Texas MD schools. Thanks for the input!
If your app is solid otherwise as you say, you may have a low reach chance at certain schools like UTMB and UT Houston who seem to value GPA more than MCAT. I'd apply to all of them except Baylor and UTSW, and apply early.