Texas School rank question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasGirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know UT Southwestern is far and away the "best" but how do the rest of them rank compared to each other? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

go do your own investigation as in actually research and see what's important to you. It's not too hard when you live in the state. Trust me I know, I've been down the Texas Med School's road before.

Thanks, but I am having a hard time finding anything comparing these schools. I have found and heard a lot of contradictory things so I just wanted to see what people here have heard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Generally...
Baylor leads the pack, followed real close by UTSW. Then the nuances come in...UT-Houston has been slipping, and maybe UTMB-Galveston has overtaken them (they sure have in average MCAT score & GPA). After that, Texas Tech. Then a tie between UT-San Antonio and Texas A&M. This is how I see the list:
1. Baylor
2. UT-Southwestern
3. (Tie) UT-Galveston
3. (Tie) UT-Houston
5. Texas Tech
6. (Tie) UT-San Antonio
6. (Tie) Texas A&M

The problem with ranking the schools after Baylor & UT-Southwestern is that school personality comes into play as none of the rest have the major reputations the top two have. So, with that, take my list with a grain of salt.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by TexasGirl:
•Thanks, but I am having a hard time finding anything comparing these schools. I have found and heard a lot of contradictory things so I just wanted to see what people here have heard.•••••Go on their webpages and look. When you get interviewed ask a zillion questions. I wouldn't even consider ranking the schools until I interviewed at each one and found their strengths and weaknesses. Besdies you cna't rank them anyway until you have an interview at that school.

woo-hoo! 5th! =P

Seriously, though. You rank schools after you interview for a reason. *All* the schools in Texas will give you the necessary medical education. Some schools will appeal more than others for different personal reasons and how they present themselves to you. They're shopping for you as much as you are shopping for them.

I picked Tech because it was closer to my family, and its nice to have that support in medical school. Plus, I'm familiar with the area and its an easy place to live.

There are also some other things to consider that make each school appealing. For example, Tech is pretty traditional in its curriculum. Galveston, on the other hand, is very problem-based learning oriented. (Houston does this as well, but not to the same extent, so I understand.) San Antonio also has the benefit of a unique clinical program that starts in July to help students become oriented with medical ethics, taking histories and physical exam.

I say, apply to them all, and rank them as you interview. Its YOUR impression that ultimately counts. =)