General Admissions & OTCAS Texas schools 2020-2021 stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schege

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I haven't seen anyone post about any Texas schools for this upcoming cycle so I figured I would go ahead and make a forum so everyone could post their stats/discuss any concerns about applying!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! I plan on applying to all three Texas woman’s programs

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!!! This is my second time applying so fingers crossed it works out! The first time I applied I made the mistake of applying to only Texas schools. I was told by one of the OT's I shadowed that texas is very oversaturated with pre-ot students and suggested I would have a better chance of applying all across the country.
Texas schools: TWU, UTMB, El Paso, Texas Tech, and Abilene
Out of state: Georgia State, East Carolina University, Minnesota, Indiana- Bloomington, Indiana State, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Chicago University, and New Mexico

University: the University of Texas at Austin
Major: Sociology
Minors: Psychology
Overall GPA: Not sure because I went to different colleges to take pre-reqs and I transferred
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8
GRE: V: 150 Q: 149 W: 4.5 (for sure gonna take it again because I didn't really study)
Work Experience: Worked as a behavior therapy aid for 1 year, therapy technician/volunteer coordinator for 1.5 years, and currently working as a rehabilitation technician at a hospital. During my undergrad, I shadowed and volunteered at multiple therapy clinics so I wanna say I have over 100+ hours.
Extra-Curricular: Social officer of my university OT club, small group leader & hospitality member for my college ministry

Reactions: 1 users
I'm editing this because I feel weird about my stats being on the internet. I wish everyone the best of luck this round, y'all will end up exactly where you're meant to be and you're already on your way to becoming an OT<3

Last edited:
University: University of North Texas
Major: Rehabilitation Studies
Overall GPA: 3.7
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: didn't take
Work Experience: 1 year working at a group home for adults with special needs
1 year working at a day habilitation program for adults with special needs (current)
Will be 1 month working as a rehab aide under an OT by the time I apply (current)
Observation hours: 50 adult outpatient, around 30 hours of outpatient peds (it was so hard to get hours bc of covid)
Extra-Curricular: Special Olympics, community coordinator chair for an org, other random volunteering

applying: TWU, ACU, Midwestern, WCU
Idk where else I should apply since I didn't take the GRE:dead:

University: University of North Texas
Major: Rehabilitation Studies
Overall GPA: 3.7
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: didn't take
Work Experience: 1 year working at a group home for adults with special needs
1 year working at a day habilitation program for adults with special needs (current)
Will be 1 month working as a rehab aide under an OT by the time I apply (current)
Observation hours: 50 adult outpatient, around 30 hours of outpatient peds (it was so hard to get hours bc of covid)
Extra-Curricular: Special Olympics, community coordinator chair for an org, other random volunteering

applying: TWU, ACU, Midwestern, WCU
Idk where else I should apply since I didn't take the GRE:dead:
Hi! As far as I know Texas Tech and UMHB in Texas also don't require a GRE

Schools I'm applying to: TWU, UTMB, Baylor

University: Baylor University
Major: BS in Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.8
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0 ish
GRE: V: 152 Q: 154 W: 4.0
Shadowing: 40 hours at impatient rehab, about 30 hours at pediatric outpatient, and only 10 hours at a neurological outpatient center (COVID caused shadowing to be suspended)
Extra-Curricular: Secretary of my honors society, in a sorority, volunteered with Special Olympics and an animal shelter.

UPDATE: got accepted into TWU and UTMB, I accepted the offer from UTMB!

Last edited:
Texas schools: TWU, UTMB, UTEP, Texas Tech, ACU, UTSA, UMHB, St. Augustine
Out of state: Arkansas (Fayetteville), Central Arkansas, LSU- Shreveport, Colorado State University, University of Alabama- Birmingham, and OU

University: the University of Texas at Dallas
Major: Healthcare Studies
Minors: None
Overall GPA: 3.3
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7
GRE: V: 152 Q: 146 W: 3.5 (taking again)
Work Experience: PT technician for 2 years
Extra-Curricular: too much to type lol

I have 380 observation hours at 8 different locations.

I applied to Texas Tech in July and I am a little worried because they stated that they are doing rolling admissions, yet I still haven't heard from them. I understand I need to be patient and they could just be looking over a lot of applications, but I know I was one of the first few people to apply. Should I just wait it out, or should I send an e-mail in case they meant to contact me but I never received it?

Thanks! :)

Does anyone else have an interview with Texas Tech on Friday??

Hello!
Just want to see if anyone has heard anything from Baylor or already been accepted. I did my interview 9/20/2020 and they acknowledged it the next day. I haven’t heard anything back and I was told it would be a week and a half at the earliest.

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you submit your application? I've been waiting so long to hear back from them!
I submitted the first week of August and heard back the 16th of September!

How did the interview go?
It went well! Obviously it was through zoom but it was a very relaxed interview with a group project and a few questions asked by faculty.

Were the interview questions traditional styled ones? Or more situational? Just trying to see how their interview is! :)
VERY traditional! I was expecting covid related or critical thinking styled questions but they were all very generic

Hello!
Just want to see if anyone has heard anything from Baylor or already been accepted. I did my interview 9/20/2020 and they acknowledged it the next day. I haven’t heard anything back and I was told it would be a week and a half at the earliest.
I got in last week! Nevermind y'all!

VERY traditional! I was expecting covid related or critical thinking styled questions but they were all very generic
Oh that's amazing haha. I wish the best for you!! :)

I know it probably will not be until the end of the month.... but does anyone have a time frame of when we should be hearing back from TWU?

I know it probably will not be until the end of the month.... but does anyone have a time frame of when we should be hearing back from TWU?

I got an email saying we should hear back by the end of October / beginning of November if we get an interview. Then the interview is November 20th/21st

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone heard back from TWU yet?

They said they would reach out at the end of October or beginning of November. So it should be any day now! Ive been checking my email like 3 times a day at least LOL

I am getting so nervous! as anyone tried to reach out to them to ask when we could expect to hear?

Just heard back from TWU!

TWU sent out interviews! Good luck everyone!!

Have been refreshing non stop for the past 30 mins LOL

I put Houston as my first choice too! Still no word yet!
I put Houston as my first choice too. I have not gotten anything back. do we still get an email if we don't get an interview?

I applied to the Houston campus as well. It may be that the other campuses in Dallas and Denton are moving faster than the Houston campus. That is what I am hoping at least!!
I am getting really scared, I hope I hear back from Houston soon

I applied to the Houston campus as well. It may be that the other campuses in Dallas and Denton are moving faster than the Houston campus. That is what I am hoping at least!!
Thats what im thinking! They're just behind