Texas Tech - 3rd & 4th year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reaton

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in Texas Tech. I have visited and feel at home. The students and the administration seem very kind and interested in me as a person.

My only worry is that they send 3rd and 4th year students to El Paso, Amarillo or Odessa. These are not my top choices of places to spend my time learning medicine. No offence to those who live there.

Are there any out there that have attended and had these same concerns? What are the pluses and minuses?

I just figured that if I have concerns I should address them and not discount Tech which I believe is an excellent school.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

As a life-long resident of Amarillo, I understand your concerns about living here. It can seem pretty dismal at first glance, but once you know the city, it really isnt a bad place.
As for your chances of ending up in Amarillo or El Paso, I have a friend (also from Amarillo) who just finished up her first year at Tech. At the time of acceptance you are required to fill out a form listing your ranking of preference for Amarillo, El Paso, or Lubbock. She told me that the spots in Lubbock are hard to get if you dont have a spouse and/or children. They like to reserve these spots for people who are less mobile.
However, I know Amarillo and Lubbock well (i have never been to El Paso) and I would choose Amarillo without a second thought. Trust me, Amarillo is a few notches better than Lubbock. (though that really is saying much). If I can answer any questions for you about either city, please let me know.

I was told by TT alum at the Dallas TTech meet & greet that once the assignments were thrown out there was a lot of trading going on amongst students. Apparently they are pretty lax about it.

In the end, someone has to move out of town though. I wouldn't let this keep you from attending a school you really like.

I am starting this Fall at Tech and am really looking forward to it. I interviewed at all the TX schools w/ the exception of San Antonio. Some may say I am crazy but I ranked Tech as number one on my match. The reasons were obvious. By far the friendliest staff, student body, and city I encountered while on the interview tour. Very small groups for rotations during the 3rd and 4th years due to the split b/w campuses. The cost of living is the cheapest in the state. I am married and have a 7 month old son. My main priority when picking schools was making their lives the most comfortable. I can get a good education any where. Lubbock provided this option. We recently purchased our first home and are looking forward to the next four years. The only other place that came close in the cost of living category was San Antonio, but remeber I didn't get an interview there so that didn't matter. The selection process as mentioned before is right on when it comes to those who are staying in Lubbock for 3rd and 4th years. I am one of those "married" students and didn't want to have to relocate. El Paso is supposed to provide a ton of exposure to 3rd and 4th years. It's a border city so tons of babies are being born and everything is going on there. Amarillo is supposed to be good for people interested in Surgery since they don't have a surgery residency there.

When it all comes down to it, you have to go with your gut and what will make you or your family the happiest. Yea I could have selected UTSW or UTHouston as my first choice, but I just didn't feel the vibe from them that I did at Tech. Besides, in my opinion, where I go for my residency is more important than where I go to Med school. Don't rule out Tech solely b/c of the split campus. It's a great school and if I wasn't married I would definitely sign up to go to El Paso. If you have more questions PM me and I'll try to answer them for you. Where ever you go you'll make the best of it and won't ever look back. Best of luck to you.