Texas Tech El Paso (PLFSOM) Vs UTRGV Texas Match Need Help Ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phantom95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
El Paso (PLFSOM)
Pros
  • small class size
  • Get to see advanced pathologist and work with the under-served.
  • Has been established longer, might have more connections to residencies
  • Get to see advanced pathologies and work with the under-served while learning Spanish.

Cons
  • More expensive
  • the environment there does not seem healthy, as in during my visit in November the students seemed to not really want to be there, with 90% of whom that were asked their reasoning of why they chose the school was because they matched. the remainder said due to financial aid and that it was their hometown.
  • 14 hours from family

UTRGV
Pros
  • Most students seemed to genuinely want to be there
  • Most affordable school
  • Small class size
  • Get to see advanced pathologies and work with the under-served.

Cons
  • New, might still be trying to figure out their curriculum
  • New, might not have as many connections to prepare for competitive specialties
  • Not sure if a Con but plastinations instead of cadavers for gross anatomy might not best prepare for surgical specialties.
  • 6 hours from family

Summary: I liked both schools, PLFSOM was nice but the environment there during my interview left me with a bad feeling. Both schools are near the border so I think they might give me similar experiences with the community. However, UTRGV seemed like a better environment overall. I am interested in surgery and want to go to a school that will best prepare me for that, though I am open to pursuing other specialties as I gain more insight into them through my rotations.

Any comments concerning thoughts and insights into reasoning for ranking each school would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: