Texas Tech Pharmacy Class of 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rikonyan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know PharmCAS doesn't even open till July 14th but I wanted to make a thread for everyone who's applying to the Texas Tech School of Pharmacy. Is anyone doing the early decision program?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yep. Applying this cycle, class of 2019. Early Admissions ... Guess which campus I'm shooting for ...

I have a question. is there any restrictions come with applying or getting accepted to the early decion thing ?

I have a question. is there any restrictions come with applying or getting accepted to the early decion thing ?
If you get accepted, you are obligated to attend the school. I think you also can't apply to any other schools until you find out if you're accepted/denied.

good info,can't apply to any other schools until you find out if you're accepted/denied.
wxlaO7

GPA-3.5
Planning on applying to Texas Tech and U of Houston. Should I retake. I already signed up for September PCAT.

Last edited:
hi everyone, i was wondering has anyone submitted their application? or gotten an interview?

and great gpa amaserwah just take the gpa in september and you should be great!

hi everyone, i was wondering has anyone submitted their application? or gotten an interview?
Interviews won't be given until around September after the early decision deadline. Acceptance letters would be around October for early decision.

I'm still working on my PharmCAS application and the supplemental application with Merlin.

As for tuition, is Tech the cheapest one in Texas?

Members don't see this ad :)
As for tuition, is Tech the cheapest one in Texas?
I'm almost sure that Texas A&M's school is cheaper. But Texas Tech's is a lot cheaper than the average tuition nationwide.

Just submitted my applications for PharmCAS and Merlin. Now to just study for the September PCAT and wait.

Did you write Life Experiences Statement in Merlin Application? I think it should be covered in personal statement.
Yes I did because it said it was "highly recommended". I just kinda wrote about my family because they immigrated here and how I struggled with school in high school but got a strong work ethic out of it.

May I ask what made you chooose Abilene over Amarillo? I had a college classmate from China named Rikong Yan. If you go to Amarillo, you might meet her, lol.

May I ask what made you chooose Abilene over Amarillo? I had a college classmate from China named Rikong Yan. If you go to Amarillo, you might meet her, lol.
Really only because it's 4 hours away from my home compared to 8 hours away if I went to Amarillo. I also like being in a small class of 40 too instead of 115.

VA: 25
RC: 25
QA: 4:(
Chem:97
bio: 90
Comp: 54

GPA-3.5
Planning on applying to Texas Tech and U of Houston. Should I retake. I already signed up for September PCAT.
When in September are you taking the PCAT? Also, how did you prepare for the Bio and Chem section? Where's your verbal score?

When in September are you taking the PCAT? Also, how did you prepare for the Bio and Chem section? Where's your verbal score?
I am a biology major. So I rely on my Bio Notes, Dr. Collins and Pearson Test. For Chem Dr. Collins all the day way plus my minor is chem and I tutor chem also. verbal 25 english is my second language so is difficult for me. Focusing now on Math alot and continuing what I did.

Has anyone receive anything from Tech after doing ED. Still deciding. Thanks

Has anyone receive anything from Tech after doing ED. Still deciding. Thanks
They won't be sending out interview invitations until after September 2, which is the deadline. They've received my applications I just need to send them my unofficial PCAT scores after I take it on September 5.

Hello all! Current P1 here. I haven't been on here much in the last few months because biochem moves at about a mile a minute, but you can ask me questions if you want!

Hello all! Current P1 here. I haven't been on here much in the last few months because biochem moves at about a mile a minute, but you can ask me questions if you want!

I am worried that I might not do well in my next PCAT . Are my stasts really bad. I have decided to do early decison with Tech and not UH.

Last edited:
Hi! Do you mind sharing your stats to kinda see where all of us are compared to applicants who have gotten accepted. Also, are you in Abilene or Amarillo?

My GPA is 3.5.
VA: 25
QA: 4:(
Chem:97
bio: 90
Comp: 54
I am worried that I might not do well in my next PCAT . Are my stasts really bad. I have decided to do early decison with Tech and not UH.
You actually did really well on Chem and Bio. Tech recommends a composite of 50 or higher, so it's actually possible for you to be accepted with your current score. That said, as long as you do better the second time around, it won't hurt to take it again. Tech has a lot of students that were born in other countries and had English as a second language. Address it in your Life Experiences essay.

The 4 in QA is a bit disconcerting. My approach was to answer everything I could and skip/flag what I was unsure of. This way I could go back at the end and answer those questions if I still had the time.

Hi! Do you mind sharing your stats to kinda see where all of us are compared to applicants who have gotten accepted. Also, are you in Abilene or Amarillo?
I honestly couldn't tell you my exact GPA. It was around 3.2-3.4 area though. I made As in almost all of my biology classes, and mostly Cs in chemistry. Most of my other pre-reqs were As, though I did make an F in calculus the first go around (made an A the second time- amazing what a change of teacher will do!).

PCAT Disclaimer- I took the test before I had taken calculus or any organic chemistry. I was so worried that I failed the test, I almost clicked "Do not score." But I figured that I had already paid for it, I might as well see how I did. For the PCAT, I took it once and my composite was an 83. I made a perfect score on the writing section. I had high 90s for verbal and reading. I got 77 on biology, 49 for Chemistry, and I think another 40-something for quantitative.

I don't have a Bachelor's, but I do have 2 Associate's degrees (Science and Arts). I took most of my courses at the community college. As of the time I was accepted to Tech, I had almost a year of experience in a retail pharmacy. By the time I started school, I also had over a year of experience at mail order.

I think things that helped me get accepted were my background in customer service (call center) and the 2 years that I worked in a group home for developmentally disabled adults. Working there is what actually pushed me toward pharmacy instead of law or medicine. I took a long time to decide on pharmacy as my profession, and as such, I am one of the older people in my class (though still far from the oldest).

I have been living in DFW for the past few years, but I chose Amarillo for all 4 years of school. My family has quite a bit of drama, and I wanted to be as far away from it as possible.

I honestly couldn't tell you my exact GPA. It was around 3.2-3.4 area though. I made As in almost all of my biology classes, and mostly Cs in chemistry. Most of my other pre-reqs were As, though I did make an F in calculus the first go around (made an A the second time- amazing what a change of teacher will do!).

PCAT Disclaimer- I took the test before I had taken calculus or any organic chemistry. I was so worried that I failed the test, I almost clicked "Do not score." But I figured that I had already paid for it, I might as well see how I did. For the PCAT, I took it once and my composite was an 83. I made a perfect score on the writing section. I had high 90s for verbal and reading. I got 77 on biology, 49 for Chemistry, and I think another 40-something for quantitative.

I don't have a Bachelor's, but I do have 2 Associate's degrees (Science and Arts). I took most of my courses at the community college. As of the time I was accepted to Tech, I had almost a year of experience in a retail pharmacy. By the time I started school, I also had over a year of experience at mail order.

I think things that helped me get accepted were my background in customer service (call center) and the 2 years that I worked in a group home for developmentally disabled adults. Working there is what actually pushed me toward pharmacy instead of law or medicine. I took a long time to decide on pharmacy as my profession, and as such, I am one of the older people in my class (though still far from the oldest).

I have been living in DFW for the past few years, but I chose Amarillo for all 4 years of school. My family has quite a bit of drama, and I wanted to be as far away from it as possible.
I see that's good to hear. Yeah! I've read that whole thread already that's why I tried to make another one for people applying this year. I also don't have a bachelors degree either and am applying with just 2 years of prerequistes. I'm a bit nervous for the PCAT though cause I haven't taken Ochem, biology, or any upper level sciences yet. I'm applying early decision so hopefully I have a better chance of getting an interview/accepted. How was the interview process for you? I heard they asked a lot of behavioral questions.

I see that's good to hear. Yeah! I've read that whole thread already that's why I tried to make another one for people applying this year. I also don't have a bachelors degree either and am applying with just 2 years of prerequistes. I'm a bit nervous for the PCAT though cause I haven't taken Ochem, biology, or any upper level sciences yet. I'm applying early decision so hopefully I have a better chance of getting an interview/accepted. How was the interview process for you? I heard they asked a lot of behavioral questions.
The acceptance rate for ED is really high, I think over 50%, but more people are applying every year (they added a second interview date for ED). They only reserve a certain number of seats for ED people, I think it's 40. So definitely shoot for an ED date, but it's still good to apply early (even if you're not doing ED) and get a first round interview.

There are a lot of behavioral questions and also an ethical question. Reading the interview surveys here should help you get an idea of what to expect.
http://schools.studentdoctor.net/school/ttu-pharm/survey/26#question_overflow_112

The acceptance rate for ED is really high, I think over 50%, but more people are applying every year (they added a second interview date for ED). They only reserve a certain number of seats for ED people, I think it's 40. So definitely shoot for an ED date, but it's still good to apply early (even if you're not doing ED) and get a first round interview.

There are a lot of behavioral questions and also an ethical question. Reading the interview surveys here should help you get an idea of what to expect.
http://schools.studentdoctor.net/school/ttu-pharm/survey/26#question_overflow_112
Thanks for that it really helps. So if you don't get accepted early decision, you're still put into the regular admissions for consideration right? Also, for interviews do you have a choice to have it in Amarillo or Abilene?

Thanks for that it really helps. So if you don't get accepted early decision, you're still put into the regular admissions for consideration right? Also, for interviews do you have a choice to have it in Amarillo or Abilene?
There are 3 possible outcomes for ED- accepted, rejected, and deferred to regular admissions. If you are rejected, you cannot reapply for the regular admission cycle, but you can apply to other schools via PharmCAS. If you are deferred, it basically means that they didn't have enough ED spots to give you an acceptance, but they're interested in you. Your application will be looked at again when they make offers to first round interviewees, second round, etc. You can apply to other schools in the mean time though.

I don't see on the SOP website where the ED interviews will be, just the dates. I believe they are in Amarillo though. For the regular admissions cycle, you do have a choice of campus.

There are 3 possible outcomes for ED- accepted, rejected, and deferred to regular admissions. If you are rejected, you cannot reapply for the regular admission cycle, but you can apply to other schools via PharmCAS. If you are deferred, it basically means that they didn't have enough ED spots to give you an acceptance, but they're interested in you. Your application will be looked at again when they make offers to first round interviewees, second round, etc. You can apply to other schools in the mean time though.

I don't see on the SOP website where the ED interviews will be, just the dates. I believe they are in Amarillo though. For the regular admissions cycle, you do have a choice of campus.
Oh I see I didn't know that. Did you apply to any other schools?

Do you have any advice on taking the PCAT? How did you prepare?

Oh I see I didn't know that. Did you apply to any other schools?

Do you have any advice on taking the PCAT? How did you prepare?
Nope! I rolled the dice and only applied to Tech. It saved me a bunch of money since I got in.

I really don't have PCAT advice. Some P1s and P2s worked at PCAT prep teachers for Kaplan, so I guess their program must be alright. I didn't use anything special to study, just notes from chem 1 and 2, bio 1 and 2, studied sig codes and drugs.

They won't be sending out interview invitations until after September 2, which is the deadline. They've received my applications I just need to send them my unofficial PCAT scores after I take it on September 5.
Has pharmcas already calculated your gpa

I submitted my application for early decision July 14th the suspense has been killing me

I submitted my application for early decision July 14th the suspense has been killing me
Did you recieve any status on yours on tech. Plus have you taken PCAT if you did do mind sharing. Thanks

Me too! I submitted my application yesterday as early decision. I've read the whole thread class of 2018. It seems like not much people applying Texas Tech this year compared to last year.
Which means is better for us lol.

No status as of yet :/ and yes I've taken my pcat

You actually did really well on Chem and Bio. Tech recommends a composite of 50 or higher, so it's actually possible for you to be accepted with your current score. That said, as long as you do better the second time around, it won't hurt to take it again. Tech has a lot of students that were born in other countries and had English as a second language. Address it in your Life Experiences essay.

The 4 in QA is a bit disconcerting. My approach was to answer everything I could and skip/flag what I was unsure of. This way I could go back at the end and answer those questions if I still had the time.
I took my test again . Got a 72 percentile is it good.

My GPA is 3.5.

Comp: 72

Last edited:
Very similiar to mine. English is also my foreign language. Good Luck!

I took the PCAT today.
My GPA is 3.6
VA: 35
QA: 88
Chem:95
Bio: 89
Comp: 78
That's great! I'm pretty sure you'll be getting an interview. I'm taking my PCAT this Friday. Really anxious.

I took the PCAT today.
My GPA is 3.6
VA: 35
QA: 88
Chem:95
Bio: 89
Comp: 78
That's great! I don't recall seeing above, is English your second language?
I took my test again . Got a 72 percentile is it good.

My GPA is 3.5.
VA: 15
RC: 10
QA: 55
Chem:98
bio: 99
That's a great improvement.
Which means is better for us lol.
These threads don't really pick up until the regular decision people get closer to the deadline.

That's great! I don't recall seeing above, is English your second language?

That's a great improvement.

These threads don't really pick up until the regular decision people get closer to the deadline.

Yes English is my second language. made B's in Engish but A's in Bio and chem courses lol

My GPA is 3.5.

Is this competitive enough in your opinion. Did early admission

Last edited: