Texas Waiting List- Any movement...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applegirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if any of you got in off the wait list at any Texas School yet. I am waiting for TT to let me know something. They said that they would start letting people know in April.

I am curious if there is a chance that any spots will open up, soon.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about tech, but I saw a thread the other day that mentioned someone getting in to Houston off the waitlist. maybe they start around the same time, maybe not.

we all know that most schools "overaccept" due to declines, etc. but what about texas schools? does anyone know if they overaccept. one one hand, it seems they wouldn't/couldn't because of the match. on the other hand, no school will have 100% matriculation of original acceptances. any valid input? i know that the schools rank the applicants, etc. but does the match process allow overacceptance???

PS, to the OP, maybe you should retitile this thread, "OFFICIAL Texas waitlist info" or something like that. i know, everyone hates the official thing, but it would be nice to have a single resource for this info once people begin to be accepted off the waitlists.

During my interview at UT-Houston a student with a friend on the ad comm said that after the rank all of the interviewees they come up with a cut off number to determine who they want. They always accept or extend offers to about 230-250 even though they matriculate at least 200. They know that not all of the matched applicants will go there so they overshoot. I'm sure most schools do that.

Members don't see this ad :)
All the Texas schools over shoot when submitting their ranks for the match. The know traditionally they have to rank this many students to fill all their slots in the ranking. At UT Houston this year they probably sent in a list longer than they needed to because they ended up being the number 1 selected school in the match by I believe quite a bit (at least this is what a current student told me.) They say this list of people are students we want to see next year, but they only fill and offer acceptances to the 200 spots available in the match and the students who match into those spots. There is so little waitlist movement within the state and the match is designed to fill all spots as rapidly as possible. So if you are waitlisted, you were probably on the initially ranked list they sent in, but just not up high enough to match in, just like residencies do it.

Bump

Sorry I just need to bunp this.

I just got accepted off the waitlist for Houston. I will be mailing my withdrawl letter to Tech shortly.

bump... just curious about any waitlist movement.

Originally posted by seaworthc
All the Texas schools over shoot when submitting their ranks for the match. The know traditionally they have to rank this many students to fill all their slots in the ranking. At UT Houston this year they probably sent in a list longer than they needed to because they ended up being the number 1 selected school in the match by I believe quite a bit (at least this is what a current student told me.) They say this list of people are students we want to see next year, but they only fill and offer acceptances to the 200 spots available in the match and the students who match into those spots. There is so little waitlist movement within the state and the match is designed to fill all spots as rapidly as possible. So if you are waitlisted, you were probably on the initially ranked list they sent in, but just not up high enough to match in, just like residencies do it.

I'm going to UT Houston in the fall, and I figured that they were pretty high up in the selection because a lot of my friends and people I met at interviews said they were going to rank UT Houston first, too. I was just wondering if anyone knows anything else about this, I would love to zing some of my cocky friends who are going to Southwestern in the fall.
Side note: maybe this just shows my ignorance, but can anyone tell me what it means when someone posts "bump"

Originally posted by UTH2003
I'm going to UT Houston in the fall, and I figured that they were pretty high up in the selection because a lot of my friends and people I met at interviews said they were going to rank UT Houston first, too. I was just wondering if anyone knows anything else about this, I would love to zing some of my cocky friends who are going to Southwestern in the fall.
Side note: maybe this just shows my ignorance, but can anyone tell me what it means when someone posts "bump"
Houston had the most #1 rankings this year by a lot. Look at the SDN match list for TX. I think about 1/3 of those who matched at SW are/were waitlisted at Houston. That means they ranked Houston above SW. I think there is starting to be some movement on Houston's part in competition for SW kids. In SW's defense, Houston does interview many more kids and therefore can be ranked #1 by more.

bump is the posting of a response to move a thread back up to the top of the list.

any more Texas med schools accepting people off the waiting list?

Just to help clarify on UT-Houston.

They are now the "cattle-call" school of Texas, interviewing something like 1,250 students. Most of the other schools interview 600-900 students.

When I was there I met several students who had UT-Houston as their only interview, I interviewed in November.

The students who interviewed at SW probably had interviews at all the other schools too; also, there are not that many students with numbers that SW and Baylor consider competitive...remember UT-Houston is about 3.6 and 27-28.

A good deal of students would also want to live in the biggest city in Texas as opposed to Galveston or College Station.

I think it is these reasons why they get so many #1 votes.

I personally ranked UT-Houston #1 because of the TMC and the city, but I was not too impressed with the students and faculty I met there....there seems to be this whole Aggie, fraternity vibe there.

I didn't match there, but what is worse I got a post-interview rejection...ouch that hurt....not even a low ranked wait-list.

Does anybody know what would make them reject someone after an interview. My jerk second interviewer, a PhD, said I didn't have enough clinical experience but he said that everything else was fine. My first interviewer, an MD, said I had more clinical experienc than he did when he got accepted. Oh yeah, the PhD was on the addmissions committee.

I personally ranked UT-Houston #1 because of the TMC and the city, but I was not too impressed with the students and faculty I met there....there seems to be this whole Aggie, fraternity vibe there.

lol, yeah we Aggies pretty much have taken UT Houston over. :D

I was matched there as well, but I chose my Baylor acceptance after a lot of thought.

bump...anyone hear of any waitlist movement for the Texas schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
The deadline for people accepted to Baylor to send in their deposits was May 15. After this date, the school knows for sure who is now coming and how many seats are now open for waitlisted people to move up. So anyone on the waitlist at Baylor should hear very soon if they made it.

Has anyone heard about movement on the Southwestern list? :(

of course UTH gets more #1 votes, its because they interview more people

i would bet there are very few people who interview at both southwestern and houston who rank houston #1.

Originally posted by indyzx
of course UTH gets more #1 votes, its because they interview more people

i would bet there are very few people who interview at both southwestern and houston who rank houston #1.

After interviewing at both schools, I completely agree.

When comparing UTH and UTSW, I think UTSW takes the cake in every possible category except student happiness/friendliness. Southwestern's facilities are decked out from top to bottom and has an incredible reputation and match/USMLE pass rate. Although UTH is a great school, many parts of it are ghetto (just kidding about the "ghetto")- comp labs, flooded basement, student lounge, exercise facility etc seemed to be lackluster.

UT Houston interviews almost half of the TX applicant pool. Seeing that most of these people don't get invited to interview at Southwestern, they are ranking UTH against schools such as UTMB, A&M, Tech, San Antonio- it's a no brainer why they rank UTH first.

Good luck to the waitlisters out there (there's only a month left too, these schools better get cracking and start turning over the waitlists!)

I dont know anything about the whole Texas system...but my roommate is WLed at UTMB and is and out-of-stater. Does anyone have any info on this so i can share it with her??

Thanks!!
Spin:D

Originally posted by e-spin
I dont know anything about the whole Texas system...but my roommate is WLed at UTMB and is and out-of-stater. Does anyone have any info on this so i can share it with her??

Thanks!!

Your friend should be cautiously optimistic. Waitlist movement in TX is slim to none at most schools (UTMB historically has had 5-15 spots /yr come open), some schools have even less.

Out of curiosity, is UTMB your roomate's only option? It's rare to see an out of stater "roun' dees parts" express interest in a school like UTMB;) (Let alone an out of stater who's not set on Baylor or UTSW)

:laugh: :laugh: yeah, well her bf is a Texan so that is part of the reason she applied in TX, but UTMB was her only interview of the UTs. But yeah, she really really liked it. In fact she got into Upstate (her state school) but I think is willing to maybe go to UTMB if she gets off the list! Thanks for the info tho!!!

Originally posted by Mike59
After interviewing at both schools, I completely agree.

When comparing UTH and UTSW, I think UTSW takes the cake in every possible category except student happiness/friendliness. Southwestern's facilities are decked out from top to bottom and has an incredible reputation and match/USMLE pass rate. Although UTH is a great school, many parts of it are ghetto (just kidding about the "ghetto")- comp labs, flooded basement, student lounge, exercise facility etc seemed to be lackluster.

UT Houston interviews almost half of the TX applicant pool. Seeing that most of these people don't get invited to interview at Southwestern, they are ranking UTH against schools such as UTMB, A&M, Tech, San Antonio- it's a no brainer why they rank UTH first.

Good luck to the waitlisters out there (there's only a month left too, these schools better get cracking and start turning over the waitlists!)

I pretty much agree with most of your assessment, but I would like to present my opinion in UT Houston's defense. I interviewed at both Southwestern and Houston and I chose UT Houston. Like you said, SW is somewhat notorious for their cutthroat program. I have a number of friends there right now that have reinforced this for me. Perhaps I misread you, but you mentioned happiness/friendliness as if it were just a small factor--but we're talking four years of our lives, it's pretty damn important to me that I live it well, not just try to "get through it." Also, although you're right about all the flood damage, they aren't going to leave it like that. I was just there on Monday and it already looks 10 times better than when it did when I interviewed. As for "ghetto," I don't know if you completely aware of it(I'm from Dallas) but SW is in the middle of the biggest ghetto you can imagine, when I volunteered at the Parkland ER it was a seemingly endless parade of hookers and drug addicts.(To be fair, I haven't volunteered at any other major trauma center so I have no basis for comparison) Like you, I was impressed by many of SW's facilities, but a current med student told me you rarely go anywhere near the "impressive" areas as a medical student.
Let me be clear in saying I understand fully why you chose SW, all things considered its still a stellar school, but I felt somwhat like you were dumping on UTH and the other Texas schools. Personally I would have been proud to be a medical student at any one of the Texas schools.

Texas med students are awesome!!

Does anyone know, typically, how each UT medical program notifies acceptances conferred off of the waitlist? I noticed that the Official Waitlist on page 1 did not indicate the method of notification for the UT Houston acceptances.

UT Houston lets you know via email followed by an official letter.

UTSW made calls on Friday and sent letters out. Also, i received an email from UTMB on Friday saying to please call immediately. I have to call them tomorrow. Just FYI for you guys.

what happened with UTMB Kerm?

***bump***

Also, i received an email from UTMB on Friday saying to please call immediately. I have to call them tomorrow. Just FYI for you guys.

hey kerm,

i'm wondering too what you heard from UTMB. i'm also on the waitlist there as an out-of-stater. let us know when u get a chance.

arghh.....all this waiting is pure torture :(

I called UTMB back on Monday, and I was accepted to UTMB but turned them down. Bascially, the lady just said a spot opened and wanted to know if I wanted it. I'm not a fan of Galveston and since I'm already headed somewhere else I just told her no thanks.

It was about a 2 min phone call. So I guess a spot is still open.

Oh also for those interested. Anyone who is holding a spot at a Texas medical school after June 1st is taken off all other Texas medical school waiting lists. Just FYI.

anyone hear anything lately?

:clap: I was just accepted off the wait-list at Texas A&M two weeks ago.

congrats anthony, glad to see some movement

texas tech notified me two weeks ago (May 27th?). I declined that spot and am still hoping for UTSW. I know they have sent out some already and are currently "oversubscribed" according to Dr. Wright. I am hoping, but the chances seem to be fading fast.

When I spoke with him on Friday, he said to give it another week to ten days, then they would know with more certainty how much the list would "move".

Hey vikvaz, what school(s) are you waiting on?

I hope you all hear some good news soon!

If after June 1st the Texas Medical Schools do not offer waitlist spots to someone who is already holding an acceptance somewhere how do the waitlists move?
Does this policy affect all med schools or just those in Texas?

They won't offer a place to someone holding a position in another TEXAS medical school. If you are holding somewhere out of state, then you can be offered admission still. I don't know about Baylor though. I think it applies to all Texas medical schools, but it may just be the TMDSAS ones.

And this only applies to Texas med schools as far as I know.

Originally posted by sd77
They won't offer a place to someone holding a position in another TEXAS medical school. If you are holding somewhere out of state, then you can be offered admission still. I don't know about Baylor though. I think it applies to all Texas medical schools, but it may just be the TMDSAS ones.

And this only applies to Texas med schools as far as I know.

Baylor also adheres to this policy.

Does this mean that what little waitlist movement there is in Texas comes to a near halt in June?

Yes, I would guess that the Texas alternate lists move less than other states due to this policy, because something like 90% of the students holding acceptances are from Texas, and therefore more likely to be accepted to Texas schools rather than out-of-state schools. However, there could be numerous Texas residents that are holding a position you want that can get accepted somewhere out of state and decide to go there, thus giving up his/her spot.

I know that southwestern has separate alternate lists for in-state and out-of-state applicants and only replaces applicants accordingly (at least that is what I was told by Dr. Wright). Therefore the only real way that a Texas resident could get a spot anymore is if someone decided to go out of state and give up their spot. I have no idea if the separate alternate list thing applies to all Texas schools or not, but I would guess not.