Textbook, book for palliative care?

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LobsterMan

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

Will be doing palliative care fellowship next year. I wanted to see if anyone had recommendations for a go-to palliative care textbook or book. Is there a "definitive" textbook out there?

Would love to start learning about palliative care in advance of my first day in fellowship!

Thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
While not a pillar textbook of the subspecialty, I would highly recommend the Handbook of Psychiatry in Palliative Medicine.

Admittedly, I've gone out of order and so far only read chapters on dignity, meaning, demoralization, and spirituality... However for the robustness and elegance of those topics alone, I would recommend the book.

Excellent insight and tools housed in the pages.
 
Demystifying opioid conversion calculations is on the way. Further thoughts in about a week

I don't wanna be a hater, but I didn't much care for this book. It may be because I quite like math & that book seemed light on the math & heavy on fluff intended to keep non-math inclined folks engaged. OTOH - Someone who is more math averse than I would probably like it more than I did.
 
I don't wanna be a hater, but I didn't much care for this book. It may be because I quite like math & that book seemed light on the math & heavy on fluff intended to keep non-math inclined folks engaged. OTOH - Someone who is more math averse than I would probably like it more than I did.

It's arrived, but havent dug in yet.
I did hear that it was penned in a rather uhhh lighthearted way, perhaps bordering on fluffy. We'll see, I can imagine how it would get annoying!

Regarding math -- I suck at it for 30+ years. So maybe it will be a redeeming quality of the book for this reader 😉
 
I don't wanna be a hater, but I didn't much care for this book. It may be because I quite like math & that book seemed light on the math & heavy on fluff intended to keep non-math inclined folks engaged. OTOH - Someone who is more math averse than I would probably like it more than I did.
Personally, this book seemed to me quite difficult in all plans.