• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

LobsterMan

5+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Hi all,

Will be doing palliative care fellowship next year. I wanted to see if anyone had recommendations for a go-to palliative care textbook or book. Is there a "definitive" textbook out there?

Would love to start learning about palliative care in advance of my first day in fellowship!

Thanks.

Reactions: intmed2020

Frazier

Palliative Emergentologist
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2009
US
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
The AAHPM primer is an easy read for prep in residency.
Someone bought me oxford, but it is dense and I haven't but browsed it during past year.
I also own evidence based, looks good, but haven't had time to dig in yet.

About the Ads
Oct 18, 2018
HPM fellow here
Textbook of Palliative medicine and supportive care by Bruera is outstanding
Evidance based practice of palliative care is very good too

Frazier

Palliative Emergentologist
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2009
US
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
While not a pillar textbook of the subspecialty, I would highly recommend the Handbook of Psychiatry in Palliative Medicine.

Admittedly, I've gone out of order and so far only read chapters on dignity, meaning, demoralization, and spirituality... However for the robustness and elegance of those topics alone, I would recommend the book.

Excellent insight and tools housed in the pages.

About the Ads