Textbook recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gigantron

Robot
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Based on searching past posts in the forums, there doesn't really seem to be a clear consensus. However, I drew up a list of textbooks that I might need and was wondering if this would be sufficient for my first two years (including board exams)?

Netter's or Thieme Atlas
Dead Body Book (Rohen's Photographic Atlas)
Lippincott's Biochemistry (I also currently have Lehninger, would this help too?)
McGlamry's Textbook of Foot and Ankle Surgery.
First Aid for the USMLE (Current year)

Members don't see this ad.

I would get an anatomy atlas (essential) and maybe McGlamry

Some externships had Mcglamry reviews where I had to review on a chapter. That's the only reason I bought it. I thought I would actually use it in residency - I don't.

Honestly... save money on 1st/2nd year textbooks. Either "borrow" them online or just do what I did - check them out at the library when needed.

But you will need a good surgery text or two for home reference once you are in the clinical/surgical years. If you're OK with online editions they can (all) be "borrowed".

USMLE first aide is not a good book for podiatry boards I. Every year those who complain about that exam used USMLE. I used BRS physiology, medical micro made ridiculously simple, my Lower extremity anatomy notes from class, and my pharmacology notes. I walked out of there knowing I passed...

Post exam - BRS physiology was the best resource 10 fold.

^ i second the BRS physio recommendation. i read through it twice before boards and found it to be adequate preparation.

every school requires different textbooks so it's difficult to generalize but the only thing you will absolutely need 1st year at all 9 schools is an anatomy atlas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Might be early if u are a 1st year. OKU for foot and ankle. 5th edition just came out. I learned about it in residency, wish I knew about it as a student.

Reactions: 1 user
Save your money and buy next to nothing. Also, buy as little equipment as possible. I wasn't going to buy all the expensive o-scopes and what not, caved, and then never really used them. My original approach would have sufficed.

Do not equate buying textbooks with doing something or being motivated. I did not like Netter's, but the majority of people seem to find it helpful. That is the only "science" textbook you should buy. Do not buy any histology, pharmacology, physiology, or biochemistry texts. I can't speak for any other school, but as a DMU student I can assure you that your class notes were written by the professor using the original text as a source material and that there isn't anything to be gained by going back to it. They've taken what are in many cases unapproachable materials and made them into something you can comprehend. Consider the following - some of those science texts are not actually made for medical students - they are made for biochemistry or physiology PhDs who will have an entirely different approach to the material than a medical student who will be more clinically focused. If a teacher instructs you to view a histology atlas because they are going to make you identify cellular structures on a test you do not need to buy the atlas - you simply need to check the atlas out from your library (guaranteed they have it) and spend an hour with it.

I liked First Aid and some find it helpful for both classes and boards. I've had classmates who occasionally felt it had given them the jump on what professors would test. If enough people post in this thread I suspect you'll find the reviews to be mixed. If you choose to buy it you must immediately begin to use it/navigate it because it has a learning curve due to how the materials are distributed. Some choose to buy the updated version every year - I wouldn't fret about this. Probably appropriate for USMLE takers - I doubt it will impact us.

I found BRS Phys to be a quick and straight forward review for boards, but it is no where close to sufficient detail to pass DMU's physiology class.

Do not rush out and buy a surgical text. Your school will have copies of the majority of the texts and may offer online versions of them (DMU currently offers Mann, Myerson, Easley, and McGlamry's online - I doubt we are alone in doing this). Spend some time with each of them because you may find you prefer one over another. If you are going to spend $300-400 you should love it. I'm drawing close to the end of third year and I have a sinking suspicion I could have gotten by fine without every cracking any of these texts. I enjoy reading a few of them, but I suspect I have classmates have never read any of them and are probably doing just fine. We'll see how fourth year goes.

Tldr. Save your money.

Reactions: 1 users