Thank God for podiatrists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abs1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I must admit, I know very little about podiatrists. But Ill tell you what I do know......I was *this* close to having an ingrown toenail the other day. And if I had not performed miraculous surgery on myself, I would have gone straight to a podiatrist. No hesitation. :cool:

My point? I have no idea....I guess Im just glad there are podiatrists out there for when the surgery I perform on myself isnt so "miraculous". :)

Members don't see this ad.

And I hope you all know that I am being completely serious. No jest intended. I was honestly starting to freak out a little. :cool:

From the podiatrist the I've shadowed.... They've told me that they do better surgeries than orthopedic surgeons.... Many of the cases that the private practice podiatrist are from failed attempts of orthopedic surgeons(MD).... Anyway... I'm not bad mouthing orthopedic surgeons, I'm just sharing my experience.... so don't blow up on me.... like some other folks may have :D

Members don't see this ad :)
It's an interesting procedure that they use for ingrown toenails. Those could get pretty nasty. They numb it and cut it right out. :eek:

I've been told by a DPM that not only do they numb it and cut it out, but they'll cut it out all the way up to the nailbed!

In my opinion, if I ever had a foot/ankle problem I'd go to a foot/ankle orthopedic surgeon and ABSOLUTELY NOT a podiatrist who took an ortho residency.

Yup... up to the nailbed!!! I saw a procedure done on a kid that was a part of the marching band.... After that the DPM placed medications that kill the roots as to stop the in grown to nails to grow back again....

Like MD/DO's there are good DPM's and bad ones.... I would personally go to a DPM for any foot/ankle problem.... just a preference....

Originally posted by turtleboard:
•I've been told by a DPM that not only do they numb it and cut it out, but they'll cut it out all the way up to the nailbed!

In my opinion, if I ever had a foot/ankle problem I'd go to a foot/ankle orthopedic surgeon and ABSOLUTELY NOT a podiatrist who took an ortho residency.•

Yep, they cut it downward to the tip sometimes. Never grows back ingrown again :D I trust podiatrists a bit more when it comes to the foot, they have a few more tricks up their sleeve in my opinion. But a good orthopedic surgeon would be just as good.

Believe it or not, there is a small chance that it would grow back. It is not always permanent.

Even with that chemical junk they put in it.... It must hurt if it does grow back.... But you're right, I do remember the podiatrist saying that there is a chance for regrowth, but barely.... But still a chance.... I wouldn't want to be that person... OUCH!!!

Originally posted by Popoy:
•Even with that chemical junk they put in it.... It must hurt if it does grow back.... But you're right, I do remember the podiatrist saying that there is a chance for regrowth, but barely.... But still a chance.... I wouldn't want to be that person... OUCH!!!•

The pod said it could. :D