thank you cards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vetiver

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so, what's up with post-interview thank you cards? a residency guy (non-path) at my school recommends sending immediate thank you cards to all interviewers as well as follow-up cards to pds. this seems like many cards to send, and for people like me who are interviewing at several schools per week (i know, bad idea), this seems like many, many cards indeed.

thoughts? sorry for bringing up potential "it's on an old thread you idiot" material...

Members don't see this ad.

vetiver said:
so, what's up with post-interview thank you cards? a residency guy (non-path) at my school recommends sending immediate thank you cards to all interviewers as well as follow-up cards to pds. this seems like many cards to send, and for people like me who are interviewing at several schools per week (i know, bad idea), this seems like many, many cards indeed.

thoughts? sorry for bringing up potential "it's on an old thread you idiot" material...

I sent mucho thank you cards for the first interviews I went on. But then I got tired and wrote ZERO for the last two. I didn't feel too bad about it because I don't think it will matter in the long run. In the future I plan on only writing a limited number of thank you cards for my favorite programs PD's. Watch me not match!

I need to send out some thank you cards for some interviews I had 3 weeks ago. My school gave us some samples of thank you letters (some were pretty aggressive/cocky in selling themselves) from past AOA students. I'm only going to send letters to a few programs that really catch my eye.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's on another thread, you toolbag. :p

Either way, I did not write thank you notes to everyone. If I met the chair, I did. I sent one to the PD as well. If I met with a faculty member I had a great talk with, I did. If it was a place I really enjoyed and wanted to rank, I sent letters to everyone. For some of the places though I didn't send letters I just sent emails (to the interviewers I mean. To the PD and chair I always sent letters).

For follow-up contact with the PD I didn't send another letter, I just sent an email. I did this with 6 programs I think, letting them know I liked their program and BTW here is my step II score and "are there any other questions you had for me" etc.

I thought emails were appropriate for some of the people who interviewed but weren't necessarily on the selection committee. I don't know. It's a gray area. But hey, I matched at my #1 so it couldn't have hurt that much. And one place where I didn't send any thank you notes at all I got phone calls and emails from the PD and the chief resident.

I think, if you feel guilty, then send a letter. If you're not that kind of person, don't bother.

*groan* More homework!

I do solemnly swear that when I am a path attending I will not be swayed in my impression of a candidate based on their letter of thanks.

I think it all balances out anyway.

Candidates who interview later are remembered better.
Candidates who interviewed earlier are more likely to send out thank you letters to refresh the program's memory of them.

Gawd I'm a b*tch.

When I went on interviews, I noticed that each interviewer had a little rating sheet on their desk. If they fill it out soon after the interview, I doubt the thank you card or letter will have much influence over that. However, if their habits are reminiscent of attendings who fill out med student evals months after the actual rotation, I can see how the letter could have an impact.

Irregardless, I don't think one should send thank you letters out of mere obligation. If I had a good conversation with a particular person where I learned about the program and opportunities, a thank you letter is in order. Perhaps an email would be better. Email vs. letter: I doubt anyone would penalize for sending an informal email versus a formal letter. Being penalized for this is just as superficial as sending out thank you notes out of sheer obligation.

Programs where you would highly consider ranking near the top, I say definitely send the PD a thank you note. The timing is uncertain in my mind...should I send it right after the interview or wait near rank list entry time? Personally, my thank you note will have the sentence along the lines of, "I was very impressed with the program...I intend to rank your program very highly." If I were to send a letter like that at this stage of the game, PD's would probably laugh at me because they know I've only been on 2 other interviews. I think a letter sent near ranking time, even though delayed by a few weeks or a month, would seem genuine. Then you can also state, "Based on what I've seen at other programs and my interests, I believe that I would fit in well at your program." or something like that.

Just my 2 cents.

So far, with 3 interviews down, I have sent thank you cards (not letters) to everyone that I interviewed with. With an average of 6 interviewers I have now sent out ~18 cards.

Of course, there is a caveat to this compulsive madness. Two of the programs were programs in which I did a rotation and had worked with most of my interviewers, so those were half thanks for the interview, half thanks for the rotation and getting to work with them. The other program was one which I plan to rank very highly and thought it prudent to bring up my name again in any manner possible.

At future interviews, I plan to only send a thank you card to the PD, people I make a special ;) connection with, or everyone if it will be one of my top 3 or 4 programs.

AndyMilonakis said:
The timing is uncertain in my mind...should I send it right after the interview or wait near rank list entry time? Personally, my thank you note will have the sentence along the lines of, "I was very impressed with the program...I intend to rank your program very highly." If I were to send a letter like that at this stage of the game, PD's would probably laugh at me because they know I've only been on 2 other interviews. I think a letter sent near ranking time, even though delayed by a few weeks or a month, would seem genuine. Then you can also state, "Based on what I've seen at other programs and my interests, I believe that I would fit in well at your program." or something like that.

I already know that I will rank the programs I did my first couple of interviews at very highly, but to avoid sounding like I was shining them on I said something like "I think very highly of your program and enjoyed my time during my rotation....I will keep in close contact with ____PD___ regarding the match." And to the PD I just changed it to "I look forward to speaking with you before the match."

For programs which I don't know how I feel about I will still probably be diplomatic and say something like "I really liked ________ about your program" but not really bring up the match. And if it isn't a program where I can fill in the blank I guess there is really no need for me to kiss any a$$ by sending a thank you card, right?

yaah said:
Either way, I did not write thank you notes to everyone. If I met the chair, I did. I sent one to the PD as well. If I met with a faculty member I had a great talk with, I did. If it was a place I really enjoyed and wanted to rank, I sent letters to everyone. For some of the places though I didn't send letters I just sent emails (to the interviewers I mean. To the PD and chair I always sent letters).

I haven't gone on any interviews yet...and so this question probably/hopefully won't come off as totally as too stupid, but can you clarify what you mean btw the CHAIR and the PD???
do you normally meet both during your interview?
?

SLUsagar said:
I haven't gone on any interviews yet...and so this question probably/hopefully won't come off as totally as too stupid, but can you clarify what you mean btw the CHAIR and the PD???
do you normally meet both during your interview?
?
Chair refers to the chairman of the department. Also, known as head honcho, big fish, or big daddy. PD refers to program director whose role is to ensure the smooth running of the residency training program. PD reports to the chair, who wears the daddy pants. I would say that in most interviews, you would get to meet with the PD since he/she will be the person who can influence how your residency training goes. Some interviews have you meet with the chair as well. Few interviews, you meet with both. Irregardless, when you meet with either, the meeting starts with a professional handshake followed by you quickly kneeling and groveling while screaming, "I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!"

A thank you note to the Chair and/or PD is appropriate if you met with them, otherwise writing 6 letters for each interview seems kinda silly. I do however think that a letter or an email to the coordinator/PD secretary is a good idea. After all, they did most of the work preparing your visit and while they probably dont have much input into ranking, your application may find itself on the top of the pile come rank day... :)

Let me be the one to say that I am the *opposite* of a politician and I hate schmoozing/ kissing behind. I'm an up-front individual, and while kissing up (for the sake of self-promotion) REALLY is not my style, you do what you have to do. Heck, we all want a spot in the end.

Let no one go unmatched

Amen

;)

At an exit interview with a PD recently, he looked at me in the eye and said that they rank candidates based on how much they like them, and not the post-interview communication.

I know, I know - thank you cards can't and don't hurt in the least, but I suspect they are a smaller deal than some people make them out to be.

deschutes said:
At an exit interview with a PD recently, he looked at me in the eye and said that they rank candidates based on how much they like them, and not the post-interview communication.

I know, I know - thank you cards can't and don't hurt in the least, but I suspect they are a smaller deal than some people make them out to be.

That's the way I see it. I find it kinda superficial to thank a person for an interview where I just talked about myself. Now, on the other hand, if the interviewer talked a lot and I gained useful information, then a thank you letter is in order. As I put more thought into this, I will only automatically thank PD's and chairs (because they're the source of a lot of information regarding the institution and the workings of the residency program). I will also thank, in paper, the certain interviewers who I gained insight from whether it be regarding the program or career tracks. I may send emails to others.

Plus, here's another issue. My understanding is that thank you letters have the most impact when they are sent out within days of an interview. The thing is that many of us string interviews together and don't have ready access to a computer/email. Hence, it may be a week or even two weeks (or even more) for one to have the chance to sit down, write the letter, and send it out. Then the recipient of the thank you note be like, "who this guy (or gal)?"

deschutes said:

I agree. The PD at MUSC told me that also. He also said that he doesn't care if someone puts MUSC first or not - he'll rank them according to whom he wants most in his program. I prefer it that way. I don't have to worry about sucking up as the Match approaches.

jeff2005 said:
I agree. The PD at MUSC told me that also. He also said that he doesn't care if someone puts MUSC first or not - he'll rank them according to whom he wants most in his program. I prefer it that way. I don't have to worry about sucking up as the Match approaches.

These are the best kind of PDs, in my opinion. It's certainly not universal though. And despite the fact that they say that, they still may be swayed by a candidate they like who keeps up a lot of correspondence with them and really wants to go there. Because they do all keep statistics on how far down their rank list they go. For some, it is not worth the effort to try to get all of their spots filled by people they know are coming beforehand. For others, it isn't worth it.

People told me though that at many places, letters you send will end up in "your file" and may be used as a partial factor when ranking meetings take place. Who knows. If you want to send the letter, send the letter. Sometimes follow up communication is helpful because questions may come up after visiting other places that you want to clarify.

yaah said:
People told me though that at many places, letters you send will end up in "your file" and may be used as a partial factor when ranking meetings take place. Who knows.
AHA! I think sending multiple thank you letters to all interviewers is a foolish idea if you're like me and will use a form letter. If all the correspondences end up looking the same, the superficiality of this whole matter will really make itself obvious. Screw it...only the chair and PD are getting thank you letters. Select others get an email!

Thanks for your advice yaah. I will send you a thank you letter.

I sent form letters to each person I interviewed with at the programs I was interested in. Otherwise I didn't bother. I was too lazy. Also, I sometimes threw in something personal like "I enjoyed our discussion of ______" You have to be careful there and not mix up your conversations though.