thank you letter for letter of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

romanjetfighter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a horrible person.

I asked my professor 2 weeks before the deadline to write me a letter of recommendation for a summer program even though she was VERY VERY busy. She said yes, god bless her heart. Two weeks later, she forgot and on the day of the deadline I reminded her again and she wrote it on the eve of her leaving for a conference across the country and right after giving out a 200+ student exam. She wrote it and one week later I got the acceptance call.

I want to write her a thank you letter but I am not sure how to write one. I bought an expensive card at Papyrus (8 dollars!!!! :O) but not sure how to make this thank you heart felt and not just... "thanks!"

Would someone volunteer to proofread my letter because it'd help me write a better letter? I can PM you... I am not sure whether I should say "wow this experience is going to be great since it will change me to so many ways and it would have never been possible without you" or go the semi-apologetic "you did all of this for me even though you were very busy thank you"

I'm not a 100% native English speaker so sometimes my wording is awkward. e.g. "thank you for helping me become one step closer to my dream of being a scientist"

Also... should I include a gift card of some sort or would that cheapen the sentiment?

Thank you for any advice...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
PM it, I'll check it out. Sounds like she really went out of the way to help you; maybe a $50 gift card to Outback. Everyone loves Outback.

Haha, I can't tell if you're serious or not. April Fools is over!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, I can't tell if you're serious or not. April Fools is over!!!

I'm 100% serious. She told you she was busy upfront but still agreed to write you a letter. The gift card is optional, but a well-written thank you note is definitely in order.

I'll read it if you wish. Its nice to see that people like you are still considerate of others. :)

Its nice to show your gratitude, but if you do buy something, make it a small gift card. Teachers realize that many students are piss poor, but it is the thought that counts.