Thank You Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Liquidshock

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have few questions about the thank you letters. I tried to search previous posts, but couldn't find the info I wanted.
1. Where do you send your letter? Reading previous posts, I learned that some ppl send it to the admissions office. What if you have their contact info (e-mail, physicial add, etc)? Do you still send it to the admissions office?

2. Is it alright to send e-mails the the interviewers? Or would it be too informal? E-mails would be much quicker though.

3. I know people say that these letters have no effect on the adcomm decision. But is this really true? I read somewhere that some interviewers specified what kinda thank you letters they prefer. If you do not meet their preference or if you just don't send it, can it have ANY impact on your file? I know this question may not sound nice, but I can't help but wonder. :oops:

4. How long are your letters? I can't think of anything to write except "Thank you for your time. I hope to see you next year."

Thanks a bunch!!! as always

Members don't see this ad.

I have few questions about the thank you letters. I tried to search previous posts, but couldn't find the info I wanted.
1. Where do you send your letter? Reading previous posts, I learned that some ppl send it to the admissions office. What if you have their contact info (e-mail, physicial add, etc)? Do you still send it to the admissions office?

2. Is it alright to send e-mails the the interviewers? Or would it be too informal? E-mails would be much quicker though.

3. I know people say that these letters have no effect on the adcomm decision. But is this really true? I read somewhere that some interviewers specified what kinda thank you letters they prefer. If you do not meet their preference or if you just don't send it, can it have ANY impact on your file? I know this question may not sound nice, but I can't help but wonder. :oops:

4. How long are your letters? I can't think of anything to write except "Thank you for your time. I hope to see you next year."

Thanks a bunch!!! as always

1. I'd send it to the admissions office -- i feel that's the safest bet. That way the interviewer can read it and put it in your file.

2. Many people say e-mail is too informal.. but in all honesty I'd say it depends on the interviewer. If you can tell your interviewer is more "hip" and seems like the type who would check e-mail over snail mail (like our generation), then go for it! Snail mail is always the safest bet though.

3. Can't hurt but probably won't help.

4. Somewhere around the 5 sentences ballpark? I thanked, recapped interview, and restated interest in school.

Gluck!