thank you letters after an interview???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bubblegilr1

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Should I sent thank you letters to the programs that I am not planning to rank as my top choices. Put another way.. would it be ok if the letter just says thank you for your time.
All the sample thank you letters that I have seen mention something about how the applicant is planning to rank the program.
 
Should I sent thank you letters to the programs that I am not planning to rank as my top choices. Put another way.. would it be ok if the letter just says thank you for your time.
All the sample thank you letters that I have seen mention something about how the applicant is planning to rank the program.

My mom always told me, "when you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." I think the same is true for you. I would not mention how you're going to rank the program. I would, however, still send the thank you card. Definitely mention a couple of specific things that you discussed with the interviewer when you were interviewing.
 
There was one, maybe 2 programs I knew at the end of the day I wouldn't rank. I still wrote everyone a little note, but I didn't put as much thought/obsession into it. Just like "thanks for your time today, I appreciated your input on X's benefits, features, unique stuff" (as briefly as possible). Sincerely, me

I intentionally left out any mention of ranking, but wrote a little more than "thanks for the lunch, see ya never". It seemed the considerate/professional thing to do. Maybe they read through the standard politeness (didn't matter if they didn't rank me, I was certain in my decision) I'd rather err that way than just a blow-off 4 word note. Plus, interviewing regionally, I didn't want to be perceived as an ass if anyone had friends at other places... although that was low on my thought process.
 
silly question but do you think it matters whether 'thank you cards' are sent by email or by real mail?

There's a good discussion of this on the ERAS and NRMP forum
 
Last edited: