THANK YOU NBDE:...for making it impossible for retakers to increase scores...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goatswalk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am so happy to know finally someone in the ADA used their neuron to stop this 'SCORE RACE' of students and specialty department heads of using scores to decipher the ultimate qualification; as to who deserves to specialize or not.

A great doctor should be merited into the specialty programs based on the entire package and not a high score....now we can rely more on the examination of an applicants entire profile and not their score to weed out many of these 'Wrong-Reasoned-To-Specialize' student dentist and dentist.

Congrats ADA!!

Members don't see this ad.

I want to know ---- Where is this new rule stated or has been applied by ADA. Could you give us the link to this news or additional information about this new change for the members of this forum.

well i guess still for the students who will take exam on next year n apply next year itself.. it will be still competitive and rather unfair.. as those students will be mixed who took multiple exams till this year december still if at all they dont take exam in 2010 but will apply in 2010 where students can give only one try will also be there...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think u already did it more than one, i dont think this is a fear system for us who didnt do the test yet, we only have one chance and that is it? what is good about that, what if u get 75 79, what school gonna accept you, espicially for those of us who already finished a bachelor's in dentisty overseas we cant switch to other fields its too late

Did they mention in the official website that they are not going to see the scare in 2010? do you have low score but have extra curricular activites like football?

Yeah, I did get a low score on Part 2 retake and doing Ortho in Cali.....and actually I did play football, basketball, badminton, golf and born very HANDSOME!.....anything else?

IMO there are some people who abuse test retaking and keep retaking exams multiple times and start memorizing questions due to the repetition then finally reach scores in the 90's.
I don't think that these exams were designed to test ones ability to memorize.

That's my opinion.

you are happy coz people cant take retakes but you took the advantage of retake.dont worry you will get over the happiness.

Ms. Goodluck, I only took the retake Part 2 b/c I failed the first time around:)

I am so happy to see this test is changing to keep people from retaking it to overcome their deprived MERIT and UNWORTHINESS towards achieving the privileges of entering a specialty program.

Regarding my superb ability in sports, well-rounded-ness, Model Looks, grades, paralleling letters of rec's, good skills to talk up for myself, 85% on Part 1, published in 4 top science journals during college, makes me feel real good to know that I when I matched ortho, I did so to not only to start on time, but in case I ran into an adverse situation before the start date, it was okay for ME to start late b/c of the promise and commitment i have demonstrated throughout my life:)....THAT MAKES ME FEEL REAL GOOD TO KNOW THE STUFF YOU GUYS ARE TALKING ABOUT 'INFLATING ACADEMIC DEFICIENCY' SHOULD ALWAYS REMAIN AS AN INCOMPLETE PART OF THE STORY OF GETTING INTO A DENTAL SPECIALTY PROGRAM!!

CONGRATS-ADA!!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I want to know ---- Where is this new rule stated or has been applied by ADA. Could you give us the link to this news or additional information about this new change for the members of this forum.

here is the link to the new ADA regulations

Download Unofficial Actions from March 2009 meeting |
PDF file/28k
icon_newwindow.gif
April 2008 | PDF file/300k
icon_newwindow.gif

if that doesn't work go to this page http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/index.asp you can find the above mentioned links on this page. Hope this helps.

If predental from the Bronx means 89/83/3.1/117/ MPH 3.8/ dental + Epidemiology exp.(5 yrs) + greencard, yeah, I'm in real trouble. Go walk your goat, or do whatever it is a goat yanker does!
OOh, I had to come back because I just looked up what a goatswalker does...*shame*shame*...I wouldn't put it on your resume, although you might!
Messed with the wrong sdn'er goat brains!

Last edited:
If predental from the Bronx means 89/83/3.1/117/ MPH 3.8/ dental + Epidemiology exp.(5 yrs) + greencard, yeah, I'm in real trouble. Go walk your goat, or do whatever it is a goat yanker does!
OOh, I had to come back because I just looked up what a goatswalker does...*shame*shame*...I wouldn't put it on your resume, although you might!
Messed with the wrong sdn'er goat brains!

You have spent so much time of your life learing crap and achieving credentials that you have no idea to use, sounds like to me you are someone without any direction in life!...Still not impressed with your mediocre achievements of success lacking....

Wow. So much negativity in this thread.

I wish all of you success in whatever you pursue.

"It is there, right where you are; If you seek it, obviously you do not see it." -Kokushi

Huh? The ultimate qualification? Board scores get you in the door for an interview, and then the complete package, including board scores and class rank, gets a person into a specialty program. A good score on the boards indicates intellectual aptitude and that a person can discipline themselves to study and master a subject. I see nothing wrong with programs using it as a measuring stick. Looking at the "entire package" sounds great, but really, how easy is it for an admissions committee to cut through the fluff on a CV and letters of recommendation when there are 150+ applications to sort through? There's enough work to be done once the field has been narrowed down based on numbers alone.

Besides, as long as the ADA is giving out numbers for board scores, it won't make any difference in how specialty programs accept. All it means is that people who don't do well enough the first time are out of luck.

Huh? The ultimate qualification? Board scores get you in the door for an interview, and then the complete package, including board scores and class rank, gets a person into a specialty program. A good score on the boards indicates intellectual aptitude and that a person can discipline themselves to study and master a subject. I see nothing wrong with programs using it as a measuring stick. Looking at the "entire package" sounds great, but really, how easy is it for an admissions committee to cut through the fluff on a CV and letters of recommendation when there are 150+ applications to sort through? There's enough work to be done once the field has been narrowed down based on numbers alone.

Besides, as long as the ADA is giving out numbers for board scores, it won't make any difference in how specialty programs accept. All it means is that people who don't do well enough the first time are out of luck.

So really then, not much has changed....

....True Dat!!

....True Dat!!

hey Goatswalk
Dont feel bad with all the negative things people write,You got in and they are so feeling bad,they are strugglin out there and crying their hearts out.
Misery and pain are their only company,I have been there done that .
People ,instead of envy "share the joy and sucess of others"
Puttin someone down,laughin and mocking them is not going to make u a success.WE ALL SUCCEED EVENTUALLY....it only takes time.........
Good luck to you all