Thank you note help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wisdom2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I had my first interview a couple of days ago. I had an awesome time there, and really want to send "thank you" cards to everyone. I was wondering if you think that "thank you" emails are just as good. Personally, I'd rather send cards.
Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say a thank you card is better. it shows you've taken more time and effort. I have been told that most ad coms get so many emails in one day, that you might get lost in the pile.

Then again, I have heard emails work just as well. if I were in your shoes, I'd send them a nice card with a little note reminding them about some parts of your conversation etc. Plus, do not forget to put your address label on the front! They should be able to see your name/address and remember where you are from.

if my interviewer didnt give me her contact information (and i forgot to ask for it) should i just send a card to the admissions officer in her name? or should i just not worry about it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't get a card from my interviewers. I was thinking I'd send them to the admissions office, and they would forward the cards for me.
Hope that will work.

Call up the admissions office. Give them the name of your interviewer and tell them you are XYZ and interviewed with them on ABC date. Then let them know that you would like to send them a thank you card, and if they could disclose their contact information. The admissions secretary will be impressed that you are calling, she will take your name down, and perhaps just put you in the accepted pile. ;) Ok, so it's not **that** easy to get in, but it can't hurt you to do that!

If that doesn't work, go into the school's main website and go into their faculty directory. Do a search on the person's name. The mailbox should be listed.

Tweetie

Thanks Tweetie!

Most med schools have websites and you can look-up the faculty on the website and get their addresses.

You should send a short thank you card to each person you interviewed with. Another professional touch, is if you had a secretary walk you around to interviews, talk with you, send one to HER (or him...) as well. They don't need a PhD or MD after their names. You should also send one to the director of admissions even if you don't interview directly with him/her.

Most use the format "Thank you for interviewing me on XX/XX/XX, I enjoyed our talk/your comments about <insert something short like you remember who they are>. I'm eagerly awaiting hearing more from your program/I like your program/etc/etc."

You should send them out within a week of your interview.

Some people think they're BS and throw them away. Some ppl really expect them. Some people (those who don't interview often) may think they're really nice.

mike

also, always hand write your notes and sign them (of course). emails are a big no-no, and typed letters are not as personal (but some people find them to be more professional).