Thank you notes after interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

someonesomething

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most people email now, but in terms of mailing physical cards is that weird now? Should we just email? And is there a specific protocol or a good way to email/write messages for our thank yous?

Members don't see this ad.

It's a good question to ask the RPD after your interview before you leave - how you could potentially mail back some thank you notes.

From my perspective, I think thank you e-mails are perfectly fine. As much as people say do this or that, I would place sending hand written thank you letters pretty low on the totem pole of priorities for an interview day.

Reactions: 1 user
It's a good question to ask the RPD after your interview before you leave...

No it is not, it's a horrible question. It gives insight into how you are not even able to decide how to outreach someone on your own. RPD's get tons of e-mails a day about everything that they have to sort through...think about that when you think about how you want to say thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a good question to ask the RPD after your interview before you leave - how you could potentially mail back some thank you notes.

From my perspective, I think thank you e-mails are perfectly fine. As much as people say do this or that, I would place sending hand written thank you letters pretty low on the totem pole of priorities for an interview day.

Whats an RPD?

No it is not, it's a horrible question. It gives insight into how you are not even able to decide how to outreach someone on your own. RPD's get tons of e-mails a day about everything that they have to sort through...think about that when you think about how you want to say thank you.

Not sure how asking for directions in sending a mailed thank you note is insight into lack of decision making skills on outreach.

What do you want the OP to do? Blindly mail to the address and hope it arrives to the right person/department?

I just feel like asking someone where to send them their thank you letter is priming for an akward moment. All RPD addresses are listed on the ASHP website. The same address that should be listed on your letter of intent.

I just feel like asking someone where to send them their thank you letter is priming for an akward moment. All RPD addresses are listed on the ASHP website. The same address that should be listed on your letter of intent.

It depends. I get what you are saying. Just to give a bit of perspective, my company has preceptor interviewers from multiple departments. Our company rents space in two 6 story buildings and occupies 5 floors across both buildings. Depending on who the thank you letter is going to specifically, that can get muddy. I think it's perfectly reasonable to check with the RPD what the best way to send thank you cards after an interview. Just my opinion though

Don't listen to this- the worst that happens is the director says a card is unnecessary and saves you the trouble.

I appreciate a hand-written card- it's personal and is better than the 90% of emails we are getting this year that are a thank you's with a P.S. clarification of your response to our clinical question.

I get a few emails - I read them and delete - i but then again I get 100+emails every day at work. if you say something specific I might say hey - that was impressive (clarifying or answering a clinical question that you didn't know). A hand written letter does mean more, but pretty low priority in the whole scheme of things. IF you send letters - at least put each in its own envelope. Last year I had one letter addressed to 3 different people - and then another candidate who put them all in one envelope and told the RPD to distribute,

sad...

I interviewed at my #1 choice Monday and did not send thank you emails yet. Am I too late at this point? I have no follow up questions to answer and met with around 15 people, but would only send thank you's to 3 of them. I drove about 4-5 hours back home and I was worried it was unprofessional to send them at that time of day. I set up the delayed email setting incorrectly and just noticed them still in my draft box.

I interviewed at my #1 choice Monday and did not send thank you emails yet. Am I too late at this point? I have no follow up questions to answer and met with around 15 people, but would only send thank you's to 3 of them. I drove about 4-5 hours back home and I was worried it was unprofessional to send them at that time of day. I set up the delayed email setting incorrectly and just noticed them still in my draft box.

Could go either way. Less inclined to say send it unless you are emailing the RPD or a known residency advisory committee member with a question. Otherwise at this point it won't hurt or help you in any way.

you are overthinking it - none of us honestly care what time the email goes out

What's the consensus on e-mailing just the RPD vs most of the people who interviewed you?

Okay, clearly there is a knowledge gap with today's applicants on being cordial. Here are some hard rules:

1). Postcard >= Email >> Nothing
2). Always addressed to RPD. +/- other interview committee members (you can always ask RPD to extend your thanks to them)
3). Does it impact you after the interview is over? Likely not, but you will never know.

So why bother? Because it's the right thing to do.

Last edited:
How long on average do you think it takes for physical mail to get to the RPD of a hospital? I'm thinking my thank you card from today won't make it before the ranking deadline, but I sent some cards to other hospitals a few weeks ago. Have the RPDs gotten my thank yous?

Depends on how far away it is. You could ask for priority mail at the post office. 2 days!

How long on average do you think it takes for physical mail to get to the RPD of a hospital? I'm thinking my thank you card from today won't make it before the ranking deadline, but I sent some cards to other hospitals a few weeks ago. Have the RPDs gotten my thank yous?

Send them an email to confirm they got your thank you card