Thank you notes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oftalmologo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a feel for the current etiquette regarding thank you notes following an interview. I know that traditionally it has been the appropriate thing to do, but more recently I have been told not to bother they won't be read anyway. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Oftalmologo
Does anyone have a feel for the current etiquette regarding thank you notes following an interview. I know that traditionally it has been the appropriate thing to do, but more recently I have been told not to bother they won't be read anyway. What do you think?

I was told not to write Thank you notes; however, I really wanted certain programs to know that I was grateful and interested in their program. So I wrote personalized letters to all the people who interviewed me at the programs I liked. I typed the letters on my laptop during the flight home.

Good luck!

Did you write letters to each of them ( at some places I've interviewed with 7-10 faculty) and was each letter different? Also, would you tell the program you planned to rank them highly (assuming you did plan to do this)?

Originally posted by dr hibbard
Did you write letters to each of them ( at some places I've interviewed with 7-10 faculty) and was each letter different? Also, would you tell the program you planned to rank them highly (assuming you did plan to do this)?

Dr. Hibbard,

I was told not to write letters, but I felt that it was important to let the programs know that I'm interested and appreciated their time. Letters are not necessary, and I am not sure if they make a difference. However, I felt better letting people know I liked their program and enjoyed speaking with them.

I wrote letters to EACH interviewer. I sent out 7-9 letters at each place I interviewed that I liked. I only interviewed at 7, but I liked all of them! :) For the programs that I ranked highly, I stated that I am ranking them highly or that they are my first choice (you can tell them, but they can't really talk to you). Communication has to be uni-directional. For the programs lower on my rank list, I stated that I liked their program and that I hope they will offer my the opportunity to work with them as a resident.

Each letter was different. The first few sentences were the same. Then the second paragraph was personal. I kept notes on what was discussed during the interview, and then I wrote, for instance, that I enjoyed discussing.... A... B.... and C.... and that I appreciate their advice on ... D... and E....

As stated above, letters are COMPLETELY optional. Not everyone writes them. They may not even help. I just felt good writing to the programs I liked. I was even bold enough to e-mail the residency director and department chairman at Iowa; however, they did not give me any information. :(

Good luck!