thank you notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Just another question...
What do you think is the protocol with the thank you notes? Anybody done it? Do you think it increases your chances somehow? Or is it just plain courtesy?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I borrow Blaise Pascal's line of reasoning and look at this way:

If everyone sends one and so do you, then it's neither positive nor negative.

If everyone except you sends one, then it looks pretty bad for you.

If no one including you sends one, then it's neither positive nor negative.

If no one except you sends one, then it looks pretty good for you.

So all in all, your best bet is to go ahead and send a thank-you note. There's really no reason not to do so except for sheer laziness.

I wrote thank you notes or emails to my interviewers. Not only to show courtesy but also to help them remember me as they write up the interview reports.
Q: what do you think should be written in a thank you note? I wrote the usual "thank you for your time....enjoy talking w/ you etc." generic stuff. any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is important to specifically refer to something discussed in your interview that was pleasantly memorable.

My take on this...If a doctor interviews 100 people and gets 100 thank you notes, isn't it going to annoy him or her to read all of them? Personally, i ended up not sending any thank you notes and I guess it worked out fine. Ultimately, I think they select you based on your qualifications and how you presented yourself during your interview rather than a thank you note which could be perceived as a way to somehow weasel in an advantage in the admissions process.

I've been interviewing for two years...in that time I've received two thank you notes. It was nice to get them but it didn't affect anybodies acceptance in any way.