Thank Yous

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PlsInviteMe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is an appropriate way to Thank someone after a phone interview? Is an e-mail enough or should a typed letter be sent through snail-mail as well? Also, for regular interviews as well, e-mail/snail mail or both? Thoughts and input would be appreciated!! Good Luck to all who have had interviews--or will have them!

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm, oddly enough, I was accepted to the only school that I didn't send 'thank you' cards/letters or emails to. Perhaps I should have done that with all of them? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
If you interviewed with multiple professors (for a clinically oriented program) would you send a thank you to everyone you met with? Thanks!

I sent one to the person I applied to work with (she picked me up from the airport, took me around, etc), one of the other faculty who had a dinner party at her house, and the grad student I stayed with. There were other faculty I interviewed with and grad students I met, but that seemed a bit overkill.

I had an interview on Friday and directly interviewed with 2 professors (my POIs) and a grad student. Should I send a thank you note (or email) to all 3, or the department as a whole, or is it just not necessary? I don't want to be rude but I also don't want to seem like a suck up. Thanks.

I had an interview on Friday and directly interviewed with 2 professors (my POIs) and a grad student. Should I send a thank you note (or email) to all 3, or the department as a whole, or is it just not necessary? I don't want to be rude but I also don't want to seem like a suck up. Thanks.

I had a very similar interview day on Friday, and sent a quick thank you email to each of the profs. I didn't send thank yous to the grad students, but if you wanted to I think it would be appropriate-- after all, they also took the time to meet with you.

Just wondering what most people are doing...Are you sending your thank-yous by email or hand written snail mail?

Would it be ok/appropriate to send a thank you note to a non-host student who was just very very helpful with gaining information about the program from a student perspective? (ie: via e-mails, phone calls, just overall an excellent and open resource). I don't have a student host at this school - this is basically the one student I have had a lot of contact with at this school.

I just finished my first thank you email. While I think snail can be really elegant and charming in that old bygone era kind of way ... let's face it, they ain't sending us no snail mail and the odds that I'm going to get my butt into a card store and then over to the post office are pretty damned slim ... so I think it's best to just email them to get it out of the way ...

Just wondering what most people are doing...Are you sending your thank-yous by email or hand written snail mail?

Edited: On the other hand, I just spoke to my mentor and she advised that I mail the thank you. But I find she's quite prim and proper, so I think that's a function of that. I didn't tell her I had already emailed it. We should pose this question to Dr.ClinPsyAdvice

I just finished my first thank you email. While I think snail can be really elegant and charming in that old bygone era kind of way ... let's face it, they ain't sending us no snail mail and the odds that I'm going to get my butt into a card store and then over to the post office are pretty damned slim ... so I think it's best to just email them to get them out of the way ...

Yeah, I am just e-mailing everyone. It seems to be the preferred method of contact.

On the other hand, I hand wrote letters to all of my recommendation writers because they had to get their butt to the post office or what not.

I sent hand written thank-yous as it seems like more of an effort. Although, it does make me kind of nervous that I will not know if they actually got them, as opposed to an email.

Is it overkill to do both?

So... I have thank yous to send to an interviewer today that I do not remember her exact name, and I am like 99% sure her e-mail is not on the faculty web site?

Any suggestions?

So... I have thank yous to send to an interviewer today that I do not remember her exact name, and I am like 99% sure her e-mail is not on the faculty web site?

Any suggestions?

I have a suggestion - don't do it :)

Way worse to get her name wrong than to skip the 'thank you,' especially because I am guessing (based on the fact that you don't remember her exact name) that she is not your POI.