Thanking the doctor for shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mud91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!
I'll finish shadowing a DO on Tuesday. She and her staff are really nice and helped me a lot. As a way to show appreciation for everything, I'm planning on giving her something. After thinking for sometime, I think a $20 starbucks gift card and a thank you card for her and a dozen or so krispy kreme doughnuts for her staff should make a good gift. Do you think this is a good idea? Should I put more than $20 for the gift card? Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all!
I'll finish shadowing a DO on Tuesday. She and her staff are really nice and helped me a lot. As a way to show appreciation for everything, I'm planning on giving her something. After thinking for sometime, I think a $20 starbucks gift card and a thank you card for her and a dozen or so krispy kreme doughnuts for her staff should make a good gift. Do you think this is a good idea? Should I put more than $20 for the gift card? Thank you in advance.

I like it! I did something similar, since the doctor I shadowed and the staff were so good to me and taught me so much.

For the thank you card, it might be good to hand-write some things in the card to show your personal appreciation for what your DO did for you. It's a nice added touch imo. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hand written thank you note is thoughtful. Donuts too?! Just how nice were they?! :D

The doctor doesnt need your $20 and she knows it so do something personal. I am italian so I made some Guantis which are Italian cookies that you can only really find in Italian food stores. Plus the gift card is for her to use but it also kind of says "sorry staff, you didn't do jack for me." make some cookies, spend a lot less and properly thank them all. The donuts portray that they were an after thought and a gift card says "my time is more valuable to me and not worth you." make the effort on doing something worth a crap and not just a driving by gift.

Maybe I am old fashioned, plain old, or too nerdy, but your gift idea seems super tacky and shows zero appreciation for the actual effort the doctor put forward.

The doctor doesnt need your $20 and she knows it so do something personal. I am italian so I made some Guantis which are Italian cookies that you can only really find in Italian food stores. Plus the gift card is for her to use but it also kind of says "sorry staff, you didn't do jack for me." make some cookies, spend a lot less and properly thank them all. The donuts portray that they were an after thought and a gift card says "my time is more valuable to me and not worth you." make the effort on doing something worth a crap and not just a driving by gift.

Maybe I am old fashioned, plain old, or too nerdy, but your gift idea seems super tacky and shows zero appreciation for the actual effort the doctor put forward.

Actually, this.

I gave my doc a gift basket full of things I observed he liked during the time I shadowed him (ex: I saw him eat a dark chocolate Dove bar, so I got him different types of dark chocolate). I typed up a long letter that showed how much I appreciate him and everything about his practice.

Making cookies or something yourself is an even better idea (and much cheaper too), so go with that if you can. The staff was really nice to me... but it was the DO that let me shadow him, so he deserved the gift. Don't worry about the staff/nurses.

Thanks guys for your help. I just remembered something. I'm not sure if I'll be applying this year or not. Should ask the doctor for a letter now and save it or ask her when I apply? Also, if I ask her the same day as I give a gift, wouldn't seem a little immature?

Hand written thank you note is thoughtful. Donuts too?! Just how nice were they?! :D
haha...it's a small staff...there were 3 nurses and 3 people at the front desk. The staff was really friendly. We talked about vacations, TV shows, education and everything in between. They are awesome people!:)

Well I worked with the doctor I shadowed for four months, he did a lot for me and really helped me and we became freinds. he loved chocolate, so i ordered him a 100 dollar chocolate gift basket from godiva. Seems like a lot but he did a lot for me in retrospect.

Thanks guys for your help. I just remembered something. I'm not sure if I'll be applying this year or not. Should ask the doctor for a letter now and save it or ask her when I apply? Also, if I ask her the same day as I give a gift, wouldn't seem a little immature?

Get the letter now, while she still remembers you and your qualities well.

Ask her if she can write you the letter the day before your last day... then give her the gift the next day... so it doesn't put her in an awkward position.